Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhythm notation

Default Rhythm notation

where do I find the note symbols that are used to edit the rhythms in Ruby My Dear?

Quote Originally Posted by vman View Post
    where do I find the note symbols that are used to edit the rhythms in Ruby My Dear?
    You have to use Mac editor:
    (not available in Web editor nor in iReal book's song edit)

click in the staff text field - Text tab, click in text window, then EDIT menu>Special Characters.
    Symbols>Miscellaneous Symbols has the quarter note (crochet), 8th note (quaver), paired 8th and paired 16th (semi-quavers). There is no single 16th.
    For a half-note (minium) use the lowercase letter 'd'.
    There is a bigger dot than the usual full stop (from your computer keyboard) in Misc. Symbols at the end.

You can use these symbols for any chart for yourself but we would prefer NOT having this notation in forum uploads. Eventually we hope to implement our own rhythm notation for iReal book and related software - Mac editor, Web editor and possibly Android platform as the technique described here is not very satisfactory at all.

- dflat

---------
    Here is the original thread of Ruby:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showthread....highlight=ruby

Here is the chart we are referring to:
    Ruby, My Dear (Rhythm Notation) by Thelonious Monk
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-24-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post

You can use these symbols for any chart for yourself but we would prefer NOT having this notation in forum uploads. Eventually we hope to implement our own rhythm notation for iReal book and related software - Mac editor, Web editor and possibly Android platform as the technique described here is not very satisfactory at all.
    Hi,

I found this version of Ruby My Dear and I like the additional rhythm notation. Because I expected not to be first in this forum who wants to use it, I searched for a thread about this and I found it.

The method used was not recommended but will there a rhythm notation feature coming up for iRealBook ?
    I think it will be very much appreciated because it is very useful for comping. Thanks in advance !

I have been using these symbols ♪♩ v ♫ ♬ ♪‿ ��♩. ♪♩♪ ♩ ♫‿ which worked fine until I upgraded to Yosemite on my Mac. Now I can read them on charts I made before the upgrade, but cannot edit them, and cannot use them in new charts I create. Any suggestions?

When will the rhythm notation for iReal book be implemented?

Default Rhythm notation

It would be great to be able to include rhythm notation in the text field to show accents etc. Sixteenth, eighth, quarter, half and whole notes, and their rests. And groups of eighth and sixteenth notes beamed together.

This would be handy for charts for live musicians to read, even if the Player was not able to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    ...worked fine until I upgraded to Yosemite on my Mac....
    It has nothing to do with Yosemite. Many symbols were disabled on the current versions of iRP because they might interfere with the file code. I, too, would like the ability to use these and other symbols restored.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Luis Moreno has posted this useful chart featuring some basic rhythm notation symbols that can be copied and pasted as comments in any charts. There's lot of missing symbols though, but that's a good start and that can help to write some simple rhythms. Here's the chart:
    (It works fine on Android. I don't know about iOS)
    Aaa Useful Signs (Gig) (A) - Luis Moreno

Thanks Cyrille and Luis!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    It would be great to be able to include rhythm notation in the text field to show accents etc. Sixteenth, eighth, quarter, half and whole notes, and their rests. And groups of eighth and sixteenth notes beamed together.

This would be handy for charts for live musicians to read, even if the Player was not able to read them.
    That would be amazing!

This will not even play. I get an error. Is there something else I need to do?