Thread: Using the Player: tricks and tips

Thumbs up Using the Player: tricks and tips

Thread related to Player tips and tricks

Default Live Player Performance options

I am creating player-only versions of songs, the changes are either as-is in the 'standard format' track, or more the way I need the bass to play. I wind up using a lot of /root chords, several repeat sections (intro, head, solo, outro as a massive example, though more typically something like Desafinado, where I add the F-Eb bar at the top and bottom for in and out vamp. Play 4x in, play the changes with a 3x rpt, F-Eb 12x out, and a final bar with fermata, and the End at the next beat. This looks odd, but plays what I wish to hear musically. I tell it to play 1x, set the tempo and it's a performance-ready sequence. I add the suffix Live to distinguish.

Currently I have created versions of Fool on the Hill Brazil 66 sort-of, Work Song with breaks and straight-ahead solo section, Nature Boy semi-modal, Here's That Rainy Day, they all have the same intro, head, outro motif except Work Song. I'm just learning how to trick the compiler into giving me what I want - but I have had lots of experience doing what can't be done. (And these do NOT use the piano at this point, so the resultant tracks may not work for Karaoke folks - Nature Boy with the non-McCoy piano sounds silly, though the bossas work great.

These are not meant for jamming, or learning, but are very useful for solo gigs. I imagine others have done similar tricks to other tunes. Is there any interest in sharing these non-standard variations? They should probably be kept away from the 'Real' tracks, perhaps a separate sub-Forum.

I like it! Your idea to add the suffix "live" is excellent.
    As you found, there's a learning-curve when learning to speak "player"...
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith View Post
    I am creating player-only versions of songs, the changes are either as-is in the 'standard format' track, or more the way I need the bass to play. I wind up using a lot of /root chords, several repeat sections (intro, head, solo, outro as a massive example, though more typically something like Desafinado, where I add the F-Eb bar at the top and bottom for in and out vamp. Play 4x in, play the changes with a 3x rpt, F-Eb 12x out, and a final bar with fermata, and the End at the next beat. This looks odd, but plays what I wish to hear musically. I tell it to play 1x, set the tempo and it's a performance-ready sequence. I add the suffix Live to distinguish.

Currently I have created versions of Fool on the Hill Brazil 66 sort-of, Work Song with breaks and straight-ahead solo section, Nature Boy semi-modal, Here's That Rainy Day, they all have the same intro, head, outro motif except Work Song. I'm just learning how to trick the compiler into giving me what I want - but I have had lots of experience doing what can't be done. (And these do NOT use the piano at this point, so the resultant tracks may not work for Karaoke folks - Nature Boy with the non-McCoy piano sounds silly, though the bossas work great.

These are not meant for jamming, or learning, but are very useful for solo gigs. I imagine others have done similar tricks to other tunes. Is there any interest in sharing these non-standard variations? They should probably be kept away from the 'Real' tracks, perhaps a separate sub-Forum.

Default Playlist

You could always make a separate Playlist containing all the charts destined for Live use also.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    You could always make a separate Playlist containing all the charts destined for Live use also.
    I've done that as well. Sorry about the search, none of the visible topics seemed relevant. I was thinking of the display standards in this thread, the Live sequences are not standards-friendly, just groove-enhanced.
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 02-26-2011 at 04:07 AM.