Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter

Default Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter

I've added the rhythmic breaks to this tune.

Speak No Evil-Rev JE - Wayne Shorter

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Default Speak No Evil -Wayne Shorter (Real Book Version)

Speak No Evil - Real Book - Wayne Shorter
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-24-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Moved to existing song thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanglatt View Post
    Helpful info:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...-and-Playlists
    Thanks for sharing your chart
    )BOB

Stefanglatt,

Just a word of caution. Unfortunately, some of the changes to Speak No Evil in the old Real Book One are incorrect.

The publishers of that book apparently "normalized" the changes to bars 9-10 to conform to a conventional circle of fifths pattern, as Em - A7 - Dm - G7.

But the correct changes can be found in Chuck Sher's New Real Book One, in my chart above, and in the iReal Pro Jazz 1300 Standards collection: Em - Cm - Dm - Bbm.

We can always count on Wayne Shorter to break with convention ...

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Stefanglatt,

Just a word of caution. Unfortunately, some of the changes to Speak No Evil in the old Real Book One are incorrect.

The publishers of that book apparently "normalized" the changes to bars 9-10 to conform to a conventional circle of fifths pattern, as Em - A7 - Dm - G7.

But the correct changes can be found in Chuck Sher's New Real Book One, in my chart above, and in the iReal Pro Jazz 1300 Standards collection: Em - Cm - Dm - Bbm.

We can always count on Wayne Shorter to break with convention ...

Cheers,
    Jer
    Thanks Jer,
    I really appreciate your choice to use "conventional" and "normalized" rather than *incorrect* or *wrong*.

Jazz is often defined by playing *different* changes than may be expected.
    Everyone has their own ears and is entitled to their own preferences in musical expression.

Your submissions are always worthwhile.
    )BOB

Thanks, Bob.

Perhaps instead of saying "incorrect" I should have said "not the changes Wayne Shorter plays."

The makers of the old illegal Real Books did take liberties with the changes to a number of songs. There's no way to know if they deliberately did it to be creative, or just made mistakes in transcribing from recordings.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Thanks, Bob.

Perhaps instead of saying "incorrect" I should have said "not the changes Wayne Shorter plays."

The makers of the old illegal Real Books did take liberties with the changes to a number of songs. There's no way to know if they deliberately did it to be creative, or just made mistakes in transcribing from recordings.

Cheers,
    Jer
    While I don't have specific examples to share with you, I recall thinking that I've noticed artists performing songs they wrote(!) differently (sometimes really differently) on different recordings. (Not to mention in different verses during the same performance)
    I sure wouldn't label one as "wrong".

I prefer it when someone claims to present an "accurate transcription" and lists their source.

Ah, jazz...
    )BOB

PS
    It's helpful when suggesting corrections to a posted chart that the edited chart is posted.
    Easy for the original poster to download, play and compare.
    Also, instead of each additional user needing to make the edits, they can simply download the "better" chart (if they trust you...)
    (I know do)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    While I don't have specific examples to share with you, I recall thinking that I've noticed artists performing songs they wrote(!) differently (sometimes really differently) on different recordings. (Not to mention in different verses during the same performance)
    I sure wouldn't label one as "wrong".

I prefer it when someone claims to present an "accurate transcription" and lists their source.

Ah, jazz...
    )BOB

PS
    It's helpful when suggesting corrections to a posted chart that the edited chart is posted.
    Easy for the original poster to download, play and compare.
    Also, instead of each additional user needing to make the edits, they can simply download the "better" chart (if they trust you...)
    (I know do)
    Agree.

Which is why I referred to specific measures and my own chart and the chart in Jazz 1300 Standards.

You also make a good point: The most disputed tune I know of for changes, at least in the last few bars, is Herbie Hancock's Dolphin Dance. Almost every source has different changes. And a trombonist who used to post on the All About Jazz Forum played the tune with Herbie, and his changes were just as controversial.

Sidenote: After 20 years, the All About Jazz Forum has shut down. I had been a member and active participant since 2005.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Here is an interesting approach to improvising over this tune.
    Excellent use of iReal pro too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blOVrtMvfzI&t=20s

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-13-2019 at 10:36 PM.

I did my own chart based on the Colorado Cookbook. Here goes:

Speak No Evil 1 - Wayne Shorter

Notice that I replace the Eb#9#11 with Dmaj7/Eb the the 2nd to last bar of B. That sounds more like it to my taste.

Here's another great analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n5ot5M5bEk
    Last edited by lsiden; 08-05-2021 at 12:02 PM.