Thread: Style to play old fashioned tunes in "two?"

Default Style to play old fashioned tunes in "two?"

I need some quick help! I'm playing a gig on New Year's Eve and several tunes have been requested that require my playing in "two." Examples are: "Give My Regards To Broadway," "Oklahoma," "and "California Here I Come." I haven't found an appropriate style to use on these tunes. Please note that I only need drums and bass--I'm a pianist and I mute out the chord instruments. The swing styles don't seem to work for these tunes. I'd really appreciate it if someone can let me how I can set iRP to play tunes of this type.

Thanks a heap in advance.

Try "Jazz - Gypsy Jazz" in 2/4 with the Tempo set for half of the speed you'd play it in 4/4. It's the least-jazzy setting I've found for old-timey tunes, patriotic songs, etc.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks for the very quick reply! Your solution is the best I've found. Unfortunately, the drums play on 1 and 2 rather than on the "ands" of 1 and 2. I edited the following chart to force iRP to play alternate bass notes (root and fifth). Here's my take on "Give My Regards To Broadway." It's hardly great but should do. Perhaps some time in the future, the developers could come up with a style that handles this type of tune.

Give My Regards to Broadway (in two) - George M Cohan
    Last edited by Keith88; 12-29-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Here's another work-around. Takes some time and looks clunky, but there have been occasions when I've found it useful. These are the first 8 bars from your chart:

Stop Time - Example
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-29-2015 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Example chart re-titled
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.