Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chord type request

These are interesting thoughts.
    However, I don't think that add-ons pack idea would actually work. Because of compatibility reason, I don't see how users using iReal without add-ons could open (import) charts from users that have advanced chords types charts that have been edited through add-ons.
    The major strength of iReal is that any charts can be easily shared through different devices, OS, platform without worrying if the chart will display correctly in other users devices.
    It's important to keep it compatible.
    Each time I need to import/export/download or share a chart, I don't feel like asking if they have the necessary add-on installed to open the file.
    If some advanced chord types are added in iReal, they should be available to all users and to any devices, imho.

Allowing the user to input the exact notes and order of voicing would resolve that issue of custom chords. And allow the user to name the harmony what ever they want. You could have Xdem7 meaning X demolished 7th and put in any notes you want.

I like the idea of having the ability to enter in custom chords and I think it's technically possible. Check out the app My Piano Assistant on Google Play Store (sorry if it's against the rules to mention other apps here). The way Alex (developer) implemented the custom chords feature is by allowing the user to provide a formula (ex. 1 b3 (5) 6 9) to the chord and having some validation rules around it.

i would like to request a m(maj11) chord

Quote Originally Posted by vhdu View Post
    In the meantime, you could try a V7#5/root eg. C-Δ11 = G7#5/C

mi maj 11 experiment - Example

)BOB

Quote Originally Posted by vhdu View Post
    Or F13(+11)/C

actually the "type" of chords that would be most useful are the most basic ones:... The degrees numbers!!!
    A chart with "II-7 / V7 / I∆7 / etc..." would be fundamental tool to practice.

The degree numbers would be only useful if multiple keys can be set in a chart. iReal pro only allow a single key to be set for the entire song. Many songs have modulations, key changes. For ex, if a tune in the key of C have a II- V7 I in the key of F, it will be displayed as V- I7 IV. So it would be more confusing than anything unless we can add different key centers. Also, there are many tunes that don't have a specific key center. Numbers only work for diatonic tunes. The purpose of adding more chords in iReal pro is to be able to reproduce any particular voicing. Less is sometimes better. I'd like to have chords that doesn't always include every single notes in a chord. For ex: CMaj(b5) without the 7th, or C7 without the 3rd or CMaj7 without the 3rd. In many instances, those chords fit better with the melody

Chord type request:
    • △7♭5 or M7♭5
    • -9♭5 or m9♭5
    • add4
    • -add4
    • sus2/4 or sus2sus4

Yes, those chords would be very useful