Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chord type request

Default Chord type request

Could it be possible to add the following chord: minor7th13
    I'm trying to get that sound: A G C E F#, or simply G C E F# (which is a C triad with a #4)
    The closest I could get with the existing chords in iReal is by using the 7sus,add3 type, but that's not exactly the same sound.
    In that case I would use a D7sus,add3, but I would need the E note instead of the D note.
    This type of chord is often used in modern jazz and also jazz fusion.

Actually what would be needed is just a major triad with a sharp 4th (1,3,#4,5) where the most common voicing would be (from low to high): 5,1,3,#4
    and WITHOUT the 7th (this chord with minor 7th is already available in iReal.
    With this basic chord (1,3,#4,5), many other chords can be built from there using slash chords, so it's a great idea to add it.

Here are just few artists using that chord quite often: Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Miles Davis, Joe Zawinul (Weather Report), Brecker brothers, Scott Henderson (Tribal Tech), John Scofield, Pat Metheny, etc... among plenty others

Another important chord would be needed (very important for trad. blues, R&B, funk): seventh chord without the 3rd (1, 5, b7) and seventh ninth chord without the third (1, 5, b7, 9).
    The first one is commonly used in traditional blues and R&B ("higher ground" by Stevie Wonder is one example. A chord with a 3rd wouldn't sound right in such song.
    The second one is commonly used in Funk (most James Brown tunes) and songs such as "play that funky music" for example.
    It could be designated as C7(omit3) or C7(no3rd), C9(omit3) or C9(no3rd)

Input F#m9(b5)

F#-9b5 has a major 9th. In my case, I would need a flat 9th (F#-7b9,b5).

Default Allow users to modify chord library

It seems like a lot of the chord requests I see could be handled by allowing the user to add chords to the library. In particular, I would like to be able to add a chord and designate the guitar fingering.

Because the chords need to be coded in order to be played by the audio player, think that would be technically difficult to implement custom chords defined by users.
    I wish there would be a way for the player to translate user input information about chord types.
    For example, if I need a Cm(add9), I could just type the notes needed to build that chord (1, b3, 5, 9) and the player would translate that information into playable voicings using those notes.

CyrilleB- interesting about the Chord Voicings you request added.
    Should be relatively easy.

Again I love cool voicings on Guitar and in Composition and also strong grooves..
    So I am trying to get Developer(s) to enable finer resolution of Chord Placement to allow R&B / Fusion / type chord syncopations and Rhythms etc.

MY REQUEST - however may involve a lot of programming time for the Developers so I am trying to get many People on board who are willing to pay for the programmers time for these "Upgrades "

Or "Upgrade Packs" .
    Those of us who want the Upgrades can pay $10. $20. $30. etc.
    I am trying to figure out if we can have some type of "sign up " for each upgrade to assess it's popularity.

My thinking is that if the Developers know there are 1000 people who want X upgrade at $20. It might happen more quickly.
    We can't expect free programming time- the App is very inexpensive for what it does..I am guessing many Pros and Advanced Users who use it would gladly pay for "Upgraded " Versions and OR packs etc.

What do you people here think?

Expanded Chord Packs might be only $5 or $10 dollars.

My "
    "Expanded Rhythms Finer Chord Placement" would be more expensive.

"Contemporary Dance Rhythms and Styles" more expensive also.

More programming time.

So how many want to buy it ?
    How many want to buy more chord types ?
    Etc.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-15-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesignGuy View Post
    It seems like a lot of the chord requests I see could be handled by allowing the user to add chords to the library. In particular, I would like to be able to add a chord and designate the guitar fingering.
    I think allowing USERS to add to the Onboard Library might be extremely difficult for the Developers and could cause problems, crashes errors etc.

Meaning if we the users are allowed to add voicings we might cause errors and deleted voicings.

Easier to give us more options than allow us into the Program itself...we lack the knowledge to integrate it into the Programming Language....there must be a line drawn.

Merely adding a few more Chord Types will solve most requests I think.