Thread: Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya - Joseph B. Geoghegan

Default Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya - Joseph B. Geoghegan

For a week now I have had the tune "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya" running through my head as a fairly quick bouncy jazz waltz that belies the lyrics. I can actually hear the sax improv in my head. Trouble is, I can't find a style that delivers a light, bouncy jazz waltz on Playback.

What I've got here are the best combos I've found, but they're too dirge-like. Any ideas out there?

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya 1 - Joseph B. Geoghegan

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya 2 - Joseph B. Geoghegan

"Swing Two/Four" is pretty bouncy. "Doo Doo Cats" even more so. And here are some jazzy, less-dirge-like changes.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (E-) - Joseph B. Geoghegan
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Try jazz-Guitar trio. 140, nylon guitar 30%, Organ Bass 100%, drums 40%, reverb 50%.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya 2 - Joseph B. Geoghegan

Your choice of choir possibly contributed to the dirge-like feel.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    "Swing Two/Four" is pretty bouncy. "Doo Doo Cats" even more so. And here are some jazzy, less-dirge-like changes.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (E-) - Joseph B. Geoghegan
    Nice Dale.
    )BOB

Wow, did you two come through, or what? Thanks much, guys.

I especially like Dale's changes with Bob's settings, 'cept I like Acoustic Bass instead of Organ bass. (Massimo's lines sound too good on double bass.) I only wish a sax man would play over this what I'm hearing in my head. So here's what I've got now:

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (E-) Fav - Joseph B. Geoghegan

If it's okay with you guys, I'll post this to Jazz, where maybe some sax man will find it.

Thanks very much, again!

Jack

Experiment with 3/2.

I tried 6/8 (which, to me, says jazz waltz) I like it since it has both a quick 3-feel or a slower 4-feel.
    The iRp player seems to play it with more of a 2-feel.

3/2 plays more like what 6/8 feels like in my head.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (E-) Fav 1 - Joseph B. Geoghegan

)BOB

Edit: 3/2 is my *new* favorite time-sig in the iRp player...(well, for today anyway...) )BOB

Bob, as you probably noticed, just changing the time sig to 3/2 doubles the phrasing. Here's my finished chart. 6/4 gives the bass lines a little more freedom in the bars with just one chord. I also added a vamp outro, and increased the tempo a bit.

Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya (E- Waltz) - Joseph B. Geoghegan
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Also nice.
    )BOB