Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chart window size

Default Chart window size

Some charts cover the whole width of the page, yet others have larger margins, and sort of squashing the changes. I was wondering how and why that occurs. Perhaps for reading off a digital device maybe? I have found some charts that I would un-squash if I knew the command to do it.

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco View Post
    Some charts cover the whole width of the page, yet others have larger margins, and sort of squashing the changes. I was wondering how and why that occurs. Perhaps for reading off a digital device maybe? I have found some charts that I would un-squash if I knew the command to do it.

Doc Dosco
    Doc,
    . Not sure to what you're referring. You can of course vary the width of the whole program. And you can vary the relative widths of the playlist on the left and the chart on the right by moving the border in between them.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Doc,
    . Not sure to what you're referring. You can of course vary the width of the whole program. And you can vary the relative widths of the playlist on the left and the chart on the right by moving the border in between them.

Cheers,
    Jer

On the formatting, if you go to the 1300 tunes, and look at 500 miles high then skip down to After you've gone, you'll see what I mean. 500 miles high uses the complete width of the chart space. After you've gone has dead space on both sides. I'm just curious as to why....

Cheers,

Doc
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 06:13 PM.

500 has only 6 systems, afteryouvegone has 10 systems so it's, um, taller...
    Not an issue on tablets/phones.
    Perhaps this topic should move from jazz>GGB to the Mac OS X discussion forum.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Default Formatting

On the formatting, if you go to the 1300 tunes, and look at 500 miles high then skip down to After you've gone, you'll see what I mean. 500 miles high uses the complete width of the chart space. After you've gone has dead space on both sides. I'm just curious as to why....

Cheers,

Doc
    I just checked those songs on my android phone and tablet. They both fill up the screen. Maybe there's something in the tutorials that can help you. Ray
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 06:15 PM.

You are viewing on Mac? As Bob said, the proportions are different. You should see a larger black 'margin' top and bottom or on the sides depending on the size of the chart window (you can drag the edge to change the amount of screen width it takes up, then swap between the two. Is this what you are wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    You are viewing on Mac? As Bob said, the proportions are different. You should see a larger black 'margin' top and bottom or on the sides depending on the size of the chart window (you can drag the edge to change the amount of screen width it takes up, then swap between the two. Is this what you are wondering?
    I am on a Mac. I know I can resize the window. Some charts take up the whole chart window the way I have it set. (and short charts get centered with lots of black on top and below). Some, however have 1/2 " to a inch black side border, when most charts have no black border on the sides. Is this just on a Mac? There seems no way to resize the actual chart inside the chart area.

In other words, I can drag the chart window to the right to make it smaller but the width of some charts is different, no matter how I size this window. So, my question still remains, but I will rephrase it. Why are some charts smaller than others in width? When I drag the chart windows back and forth? Maybe on a tablet or phone this doesn't occur, but it sure does on my Mac as I have the Library, Song List and Chart Window all open next to each other.

Thanks,

Doc

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Marimb View Post
    Can you revert back to having songs fill the full screen on iPhone? Just using 2/3 of the page makes it really hard to see! I've asked before & so far, no response.
    Seems that the size of the charts varies on certain devices? .....and also between charts inside the chart window on my MacBook.

Hmmnmmmm.....

Doc

on the Mac, you should find each chart will either have black top and bottom or on both sides. They cannot expand further into the black because there is either no more systems vertically to expand downwards nor fill up the side margins because that is the length of the 16 spaces along the system horizontally. In other words, the chart will expand into the window until it fills vertically or horizontally, whichever comes first, then stops (and you see the black behind it). It shows it as large as it can within the window, within the limits of its height or width.
    After a certain number of systems, it will stretch and get small to accommodate its vertical length.

Slightly unrelated: you can hide the sidebar so just the chart shows full screen, again in the same way).

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    on the Mac, you should find each chart will either have black top and bottom or on both sides. They cannot expand further into the black because there is either no more systems vertically to expand downwards nor fill up the side margins because that is the length of the 16 spaces along the system horizontally. In other words, the chart will expand into the window until it fills vertically or horizontally, whichever comes first, then stops (and you see the black behind it). It shows it as large as it can within the window, within the limits of its height or width.
    After a certain number of systems, it will stretch and get small to accommodate its vertical length.

Slightly unrelated: you can hide the sidebar so just the chart shows full screen, again in the same way).
    In theory, sure. On my Mac, some charts fill the given space to the margin (at it's max), as you explain. Got that. However these charts and their fonts are larger than some other charts which don't reach the margins and don't fill the same space..... those particular charts are not the full dimensions of the other charts and don't fill the same 'available' space. I don't know how else to explain this. If any Mac guys can see what I am talking about, maybe they can pipe up. It can't just be my Mac on my OS.

Doc