Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learning the chords

Default learning the chords

I gave "FlyMe to theMoon" a try yesterday evening. Biggest problem where finding the 7th chords, and how to finger them. Maybe I can gather a few tips here.
    Are there any good apps to quickly look up chords and its inversions? Or any other ways to learn the chords and find them easily. Maybe it's not a question for an app-forum, but as all people are musicians post here...
    How to see at what octave do I have to take the chord?
    Another question: How do I see from the letters on a leadsheet if I have to play the plain chord or an inversion - or may it is always be allowed to have easier fingering?

edit:
    OK, I found the "display chords - 1 hand" function in iReal Pro, but sometimes he chooses to play an inversion, and sometimes the root chord. Nevertheless. The letter in the leadsheet always indicate the root chord.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Selecting chord diagrams
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...1791#post31791

Quote Originally Posted by johand View Post
    How to see at what octave do I have to take the chord?
    Another question: How do I see from the letters on a leadsheet if I have to play the plain chord or an inversion - or may it is always be allowed to have easier fingering?
    In most lead-sheets, those choices are left up to the musician instead of as in sheet music defining the accompaniment note for note.

Not every note in every chord needs to be played every time...

Freedom and individual interpretation are hallmarks of jazz.

Listen....

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-08-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks, but I don't understand why not alway the root chord is displayed. Ex if you choose to show chord G7, it shows the 2nd inverion, right?
    edit1: I did find the possibility to swap right/left on the chord to display other possible ways to get a G7.
    edit2: OK, this should get me started.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	378
    Last edited by johand; 11-06-2015 at 03:59 AM.

Small chord diagrams in every measure are selected by changing the font.
    (Kind of hard to read on a small screen)
    Select the large diagrams (icon lower right)
    Tap play
    Tap the large chord diagram to pause play.
    Swipe the large diagram to see other inversions.
    G7=G,B,D,F...1,3,5,b7
    That's true however you rearrange the notes.
    The root doesn't always have to be the lowest note.
    Sometimes you choose the inversion for fingering convenience or efficiency, sometimes for its musical quality.
    Listen.....
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 04:04 AM.

ok Thanks, no need for extra "chords" app.
    Listening...
    Last edited by johand; 11-06-2015 at 04:16 AM.

If a Am7 is played in 2nd inversion, shouldn't there be "Am7/E" in the leadsheet instead of just Am7?

If a Am7 is played in 2nd inversion, shouldn't there be "Am7/E" in the leadsheet instead of just Am7?
    The "slash" chord is usually only specified for musical reasons, like where the moving bass note is important to the flow of the progression.
    Like the B-sections in these
    Hey Jude - The Beatles (Lennon, McCartney)
    Imagine - John Lennon

Or where a pedal-tone is desired.
    (End of the B-section)
    La Mer dfb - Charles Trenet

Otherwise, every chord without the root on the bottom would be written with a "/".
    )BOB

is it possible that when I erase the 1300 Jazz standard playlist and re-import it, the song "FlyMe to TheMoon" has the same chord progression, but other inversions that I had it the first time?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 05:57 PM.

is it possible that when I erase the 1300 Jazz standard playlist and re-import it, the song "Fly Me to The Moon" has the same chord progression, but other inversions that I had it the first time?
    The chord charts will be the same. Each time you restart the player differences may occur.
    More:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...7160#post27160
    )BOB

Is there a good JPG or PDF matrix with all major and minor 7th and dominants to put on my piano as reference? Which notes and maybe a keyboard view...