Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martha Mier's jazz Raggs and Blues book

Some quick observations (I'll leave it to you to make any edits you want)

The first arpeggiated chord is a diminished: Co, same as a Co7, C dim, C dim7
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...6025#post16025

The "splotch" (blank chord) is used to add specific bass notes (slash chords) without re-writing the chord's root over and over. The first slash chord's root must be entered, otherwise the player will use the previous chord (which may not be what you intend)

I think you may prefer your first Bb (bar 6) as a G or G7 chord.

Can you hear the difference between a major chord (triad) 1,3,5. (C,E,G or F,A,C) and a minor chord 1,3b,5. (C,Eb,G or F,Ab,C)? You might like the second F (C-section bar 5) better as an F- (Fmin, F minor)

Listening is the key!

Are you are missing a bar-line between the Eb and D? Without one, the player will treat the two together as a single measure.

For a first chart without any chord theory background,
    (you'll find that very helpful as you approach jazz,
    "It's all about the *changes*, man!")
    your chart is a really good start.

Keep after it! iReal pro will change your life. (It did for me)

As you work-up the Mier book charts with your instructor's help, please share your work in this thread to help other students.
    We're all in this together.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-29-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Hello, First of all, Thanks for helping me out.

I started almost 2 yrs ago without any music knowledge. I have since then classical piano training, so I know something about chords (not that much). I do know and hear the difference between majorand minor triads. I also know that 7th chords have that last (7th) note attached to the major and minor chord. But that's about it. Don't know exactly what augmented and diminished is, but that's stuff for later I guess...

1 - Can you clarify this a little, Do you mean "/" by "splotch" You are talking about bar 3 and 4 no? What should it be in those bars?
    "The "splotch" (blank chord) is used to add specific bass notes (slash chords) without re-writing the chord's root over and over. The first slash chord's root must be entered, otherwise the player will use the previous chord (which may not be what you intend)"

2 - I think you may prefer your first Bb (bar 6) as a G or G7 chord.
    I changed it but I don't know exactly why. There is no G note in that 6th bar?

Ragtime Do Si Do - Mier

I will post all future Martha Mier's pieces I tackle with my teacher in this thread.
    Should I edit posts with earlier versions of this piece (and delete it there) to keep the forums clean, and only have 1 correct version in the thread?

BR, Johan

PS: I saw someone entered Tim Richards book "Improvising Blues Piano" in here. That's also great! I just began in that book.
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...s-piano-chpt-1
    Last edited by johand; 10-30-2015 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johand View Post
    Hello, First of all, Thanks for helping me out.

Can you clarify this a little, Do you mean "/" by "splotch" You are talking about bar 3 and 4 no? What should it be in those bars?
    The slash "/” is used in two ways.
    1. Chords should be entered on the first space in a measure. If they are to start later in the measure, enter a slash (/) on each beat where the chord from the preceding measure is to be continued.
    |C |//D |G |

2. As part of a chord to designate a specific bass note as part of the chord.
    eg. C7/Bb (a C7 chord with a Bb bass note)

When there is a specific bass sequence under a chord, you can use the invisible "splotch" or blob (which only shows in the editor) instead of writing the chord name each time when the only note changing is the bass note.
    The first slash chord's name must be entered, otherwise the player will use the previous chord (which may not be what you intend)

bass notes
    also known as inversions, bass notes only, hidden chords, invisible chords
    To hide the chord symbol but provide a bass note, use the invisible character. It looks like a blue (pink in android) blob in Song edit, and is used as a blank for the chord letter. In Song edit, tap on/click the invisible character (it only shows in Song Edit) then insert a Slash, then enter the bass note. In the Mac version, you can also type w.

Here is an example:

Invisible - Test

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-30-2015 at 01:41 PM.

2 - I think you may prefer your first Bb (bar 6) as a G or G7 chord.
    I changed it but I don't know exactly why. There is no G note in that 6th bar?
    Should I edit posts with earlier versions of this piece (and delete it there) to keep the forums clean, and only have 1 correct version in the thread?
    2- Listen to it both ways as you play along with the player and choose the one that sounds better.

When all the Mier-book charts are posted, we'll combine them into a single playlist.

Since our posted discussion applies to the initially posted version, it makes sense (and may be instructive to others) to leave the first chart up.
    If you post a chart, then notice an error, it would make sense to edit the chart and just replace the first one with the corrected one.
    )BOB

Test - Unknown Composer
    I tied to find some differences, but not hearing them. Maybe don't know what to listen for...? I muted the piano
    Maybe you can link me to a simple chart,w here i can hear clearly the differences when working with "/", "%", NC or just leave it blank?
    Last edited by johand; 10-30-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Maybe you can link me to a simple chart,w here i can hear clearly the differences when working with "/", "%", NC or just leave it blank?
    Bar Repeat Signs, Slash, N-C- - Example

)BOB

Johand,

It's a pretty good chart, with just a couple of chords that I would change.

Here's a revision using some of the the bass lines that are in the printed music, as well as the chord changes I recommend.

Notice that what you have as C - Bb - A - Ab is actually C - C7/Bb - F/A - Ab7, a common ragtime cliché.

Ragtime Do Si Do Rev - Mier

Cheers,
    Jer

P.S. The confusion over the Bb chord is probably because a G7 chord is what one might normally expect there in that harmonic progression. However, as the printed music shows, the composer intended what you correctly wrote, C alternating with Bb.
    Last edited by engelbach; 10-30-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Great chart Jer, you've set the bar pretty high for the rest of his charts...
    )BOB

As I understand Bob's last post, this is a quite difficult/advanced version? I do want the most simple chart as derived from the original score. I appreciate your help, but as a beginner, I must first learn how to put chord chart together in it's most simple form.

That's why it's good to look at multiple versions of the same song. Ask yourself what's different, why it's different, and which do YOU like? It's not right or wrong, correct or incorrect, better or worse. It's jazz. It's expressive. It evolves.
    Enjoy your journey.

LISTEN

)BOB