Thread: Sharing Songs With Other Devices

Default Sharing Songs With Other Devices

Hi -

I'm quite new to iReal Pro - apologies if this seems really basic, but I've searched for about an hour and still can't get this working.

I've created a chord chart for a song, and now want to share it with the other folk in the band (who also have iReal).

Ideally I just want to stick the file on a web page and give them a link to it.

I have managed to export it as a Music XML file to my Dropbox, but Dropbox will not let me import this to iReal.

I have seen stuff about exporting as "HTML", but I can't find any option to do this.

Any help gratefully received...

It's easy, just follow the instructions in the app.

There is a detailed tutorial inside the app in Settings/Tutorial/Sharing.
    (You can also select the "?" in a circle at the top of the chart)

Also online at http://irealpro.com/support

This may also be helpful:
    Beginners
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...=7078#post7078

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-23-2015 at 12:30 PM.

I've already looked at the online help - the only relevant advice there is "Save it to the Cloud (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive) and import it on your other device.)" but what I need to know is how to do this.

I've also been thru the in-app tutorial - problem is that what appears in the tutorial is different from what appears in the app.

The tutorial shows the sharing options menu as

EMAIL
    HTML
    PDF
    FORUMS
    MUSIC XML

But when I select it in the app, the menu is

EMAIL
    PDF
    FORUMS
    MUSIC XML
    PRINT

i.e. it is missing the HTML option which - as I undertand it - is the one I need to export the chord chart to Dropbox for transfer to another device?

SHARING WITH ANOTHER DEVICE (privately)
    Open a chart (or playlist)
    Share icon
    Share chord chart
    IReal pro format
    Mail
    Enter your addy to send to your other device and/or someone else's to share with them.
    Send
    open that email using the device to which you wish to add the chart.
    The email includes an html attachment containing the song-code.
    Open the attachment, select the (underlined) song (or playlist) title (it's a link)
    IReal pro opens automatically and loads the new chart (or playlist)

OR

SHARING WITH ANOTHER DEVICE (publicly)
    Share icon
    Share chord chart
    Forums (Adds song-code to your clipboard)
    Go to the forums (using either the app or your browser)
    Select the appropriate forum
    (Please use the SANDBOX for personal use, gig-lists, transfers and testing)
    +Post New Thread
    Title the thread, add description if desired, long-press to bring-up the paste command, PASTE,
    Big block of song-code appears which turns into a song link when you select:...
    Submit new thread

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-23-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks for that Bob.

I should probably have made it clear that the reason I'm trying to use the Dropbox option is that I don't have an email account on this iPad, nor on the machine I'm trying to share it with. I have Dropbox on both machines, but I can't find the menu option to export to Dropbox, although the online support pages seem fairly explicit that this is possible - "Save it to the Cloud (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive) and import it on your other device." That's what I'm trying to do, but so far without success.

I have also tried using the "Backup" facility (under Settings), but again, it doesn't provide me with a Dropbox option, only email.

The only thing I've so far managed to export to Dropbox is Music XML, and the Dropbox app isn't giving me the option to import that into iReal Pro.

So I am stuck.

You have an email account. Is there a reason you can't open it using the 2nd device's browser...ithe email account doesn't need to be installed or set-up on the device. Hotmail, gmail etc are all web-based. Ever check your email using a borrowed computer?
    But, does an email need to be set-up and designated for iRp to send the html attachment? (I don't know about the sending unit) the receiving device could use webmail in the browser

If you have Dropbox, you have Internet.

You can also transfer iRp files using the (previously described) SANDBOX Forum option, post the song (or playlist), then download it (from the forum) using the additional device(s).

Or

Try this for Dropbox:
    Share icon
    Share chord chart
    IReal pro format
    Open in...
    If you use Dropbox (I don't), does it appear as an option? Check More...
    Do you have the Dropbox app?

If both devices have a newer iOS and are nearby, you could try AirDrop. Select that instead of "Open in...".
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-24-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Share icon>Share Chord Chart>iReal Pro Format...
    if you do not see Save to Dropbox in the menu of apps, tap the More button to find it (which is where you can turn on or off which apps appear in this menu).
    (You have to have the free Dropbox app installed on your iPad.)

(iReal Pro format is the song or playlists in a kind of html format.)

OK, I sense there may be some kinda basic problem here...

I press the top right "Share" icon [ Square with arrow ] - I select CHORD CHART in the dropdown menu - it gives me the 6 options I listed above -

EMAIL
    PDF
    FORUMS
    MUSIC XML
    PRINT

Which option do I select?

There is no "iReal Pro Format" option, there is no "HTML" option, there is no "More" option.

I have the Dropbox App installed on my iPad, and can save the song as MUSIC XML to my Dropbox via the "OPEN WITH APP" option.
    Last edited by organica; 09-25-2015 at 12:12 AM.

We've been providing answers for the latest updated version of iReal pro.
    Are you using iReal b or an older version of iReal pro?
    Please go into the app's settings>about, and provide the version of the app.
    Also provide details on your device

In the meantime, if you select Forums (from the drop-down you describe) the content will be copied to your clipboard.
    Then go to the forums (using Your browser) http://www.irealb.com/forums/
    Select the appropriate forum
    (Please use the SANDBOX for personal use, gig-lists, transfers and testing)
    +Post New Thread
    Title the thread, add description if desired, long-press in the message field to bring-up the paste command, PASTE,
    Big block of song-code appears which turns into a song link when you select:...
    Submit new thread
    You can use any device with the iReal pro (or b) app to download your song or playlist directly from the forums.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-25-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Bob, yes sorry Organica for the problems and misleading information. You probably have an old version of iReal Pro (perhaps v5.1?) Use the Sandbox forum as Bob has suggested to get your songs transferred. You could embed the URL of each song's post as a link into your web page? (The Sandbox forum's posts are purged from time to time so the link would not be permanent.)