Thread: Garden In The Rain - Dyrenforth-Gibbons

Default Garden In The Rain - Dyrenforth-Gibbons

This is an arrangement from the Blue Gardenia Jazztet.

Garden In The Rain - Dyrenforth-Gibbons

)BOB

Hi all,

I pulled the Diana Krall changes and came up with the following chart. The bridge is a bit winky. I massaged some changes that are close, but the bass isn't exact. The bridge changes are wild in the DK version.

At any rate, I would be interested if anyone can suggest any different voicings for the bridge from the youtube of Diana Krall.

This version is substantially different to the one already posted and different again to the Frank Sinatra version that uses the minor7thb5 in the A section turnaround. Diana Krall plays it straight there.

And, I would like to know how to not have the 1 beat changes bleed into one another. Bob’s post of the tune looks so neat and mine looks sloppy.

Doc Dosco

Oops, I spelled her wrong and edited it correctly... erk!

Garden In The Rain (Diana Krall changes) - Dyrenforth-Gibbons
    Last edited by docdosco; 09-26-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco View Post
    Hi all
    I would like to know how to not have the 1 beat changes bleed into one another. Bob’s post of the tune looks so neat and mine looks sloppy.

By using S and N in the editor (small/normal) chords can be made more readable in crowded measures.
    Remember, each N or S applies to all subsequent chords in the chart. When you use S to make a couple of adjacent chords fit better, please use N on the next chord to reset the rest of the chart.

I moved the alt. chord to space 2 of the 1st ending. The player ignores it anyway and the musician knows what is intended.

This doesn't apply to your chart it's just FYI.

By inserting space(s) you can make a measure longer but it will affect the appearance of the chart. Some additional adjustments may be needed. (Like shortening a nearby measure(s) that has only one chord to line things up)

Also consider weather it's really necessary to have that extended chord quality on that chord(s)
    Instead of X-7b5 you can use Xø.

)BOB

Garden In The Rain (Diana Krall changes) 1 - Dyrenforth-Gibbons
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-26-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks. Now I can do charts that don't look like a dog's breakfast.....

Doc

A reharm of this tune. Slightly heavier on the chords, and in the original key of Eb.

A Garden In The Rain Rev - Dyrenforth-Gibbons

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website