Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Hey Doc,
    Could you post a comparison for I'm Beginning To See The Light charts, iRp/GBB as I did for One Note Samba?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...3913#post33913
    )BOB

Here are the GGB changes in the original key.

I'm Beginning To See The Light GGB - James - Ellington

My only caveat is that the changes are a bit choppy in the ireal rhythm section. They run together smoothly on my instrument. I play a few changes differently, but this is a good basic chart to start from.....

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-02-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks Doc.
    )BOB

I don't know if it will help, but I am also member of another piano forum, and they have 4 recitals in a year. They use a wiki page to keep everything organized and structured.it is easy to find a particular piece and by who it was submitted etc. - also searchable by composer.

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

They use the software mentioned on the bottom of that page. Maybe it is something you can setup up to keep the charts here organized? Is this a help to Docdosco's problem?

Does anyone know why the Blue Book skips pages? I've owned it for many years, but never had occasion to ask anyone this before.

The last page is numbered 696, but there are actually only about 400 pages.

There are skips from 166 to 185, 248 to 301, and a number of others.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Does anyone know why the Blue Book skips pages? I've owned it for many years, but never had occasion to ask anyone this before.

Cheers,
    Jer

On the 2nd title-page (1996 edition) there is some "fine-print":
    page area---note that pages are not continuous (so more tunes can be added later)

....best laid plans 'n all...
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    On the 2nd title-page (1996 edition) there is some "fine-print":
    page area---note that pages are not continuous (so more tunes can be added later)

....best laid plans 'n all...
    )BOB
    Ah. Interesting. I don't have that page, with the fine print, in my version.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Cheers,
    Jer
    Damn good question. This has been my primary gig book for years and years. Mainly because it has *most* of the popular Great American Songbook standards and crooner tunes, and generally there are 2 tunes per page, with lyrics and decent changes. For 5 years I did wine tasting gigs all over the SW US, Southern Cal, Arizona, Las Vegas. Killer money, lots of driving and budget hotels.... however, this book was always with me. My own book, which has charts on the left, lyrics on the right was my main book, but the GGB came out a lot. I was booked as a solo jazz guitarist, but playing all day on a Friday, Sat, Sunday left me with lots of time to dust off my voice & learn new tunes, many of those songs pulled out of the GGB when the crowd was thin. Paid rehearsal! Ha!

Maybe my use of that one book, instead of lugging 6 or 8 other books (some that didn't even have lyrics) made me really appreciate the GGB. I too, wondered at the missing page numbers. The collection in the book is fairly comprehensive, so if there were more tunes, I wonder what was left out?

Doc Dosco

Doh! I just read the fine print on the 1996 edition and as Bob said, and I should have noted ...that the pages are not continuous for more to be added later, which it appears never happened.

My printed copies are older than the 1996 edition too, but I did grab the newest PDF from online....

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco View Post
    Doh! I just read the fine print on the 1996 edition and as Bob said, and I should have noted ...that the pages are not continuous for more to be added later, which it appears never happened.

My printed copies are older than the 1996 edition too, but I did grab the newest PDF from online....

Doc
    Doc,

As I just did as well, to my edification. It's much cleaner than the old one.

I never had a printed copy of the GGB, just a digital.

My experience was different from yours. My band had an extensive playlist of tunes that we knew, so we rarely used books on gigs. If there was something we didn't all know, at least one of the musicians usually did and we'd play off him.

The only exception was for requests for things none of us knew — like movie themes, pop tunes, and other non-standards — which the client was required to ask for in advance, and for which I would make charts.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 11-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Doc,

As I just did as well, to my edification. It's much cleaner than the old one.

I never had a printed copy of the GGB, just a digital.

My experience was different from yours. My band had an extensive playlist of tunes that we knew, so we rarely used books on gigs. If there was something we didn't all know, at least one of the musicians usually did and we'd play off him.

The only exception was for requests for things none of us knew — like movie themes, pop tunes, and other non-standards — which the client was required to ask for in advance, and for which I would make charts.

Cheers,
    Jer
    These days, all I need usually is a lyric sheet on vocal tunes. Funny thing is that I retain changes easliy, but it is hard to recall lyrics. (must be a different part of the brain - one that I burned out with hard living!) I may have posted here about my memory issues. I posted somewhere... (gee I can't remember!). Ha!

I can remember lyrics on tunes I played in my youth with perfect acuity. These days it is not so easy. I have to force myself to remember the damn words, and still some verses slip away and then .... zzzzz... oh, here I am : )

I have printed chord charts for other people if they need them (which is why ireal has proved so valuable). Luckily, being an old fossil like myself, I have other old fossils that I call for gigs, and they generally know the all tunes.

So, Mexico? How did you end up there if you don't mind me asking? I suspect you aren't a fugitive, so it must abe another reason.

Doc Dosco