Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Quote Originally Posted by gondar1234 View Post
    However the way I like the changes may not work for everyone.
    คาสิโนออนไลน์ holiday
    If there were only ONE way to play each song, there would be no jazz.
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    If there were only ONE way to play each song, there would be no jazz.
    )BOB
    Yep... and I am a guitarist, so sometimes my personal charts may reflect that I don't have the extra fingers a piano player has. Well, I have extra fingers, somewhere... I think. Now were did I put them?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    ...we're moving towards having just ONE discussion thread for each song...
    This would be great! It would make searches more convenient and allow us to compare different interpretations. But it sounds a bit like trying to herd cats, so Good Luck with that!
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

We all have a role in shaping both the content and the culture of the Forums.

Disorganized chaos won't work well for anyone.

Thanks Dale (and others) for your on-going contributions in BOTH areas.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-23-2015 at 04:07 PM.

this thread brings up an important issue that many of us face.
    Inconsistent changes.
    This is usually a problem at pick up gigs.

I don't know if the blue book is still as vital as it used to be.
    In SanFrancisco during the 80's and 90's you had to have it.

Despite Bob's comments I do see a real use for a Blue Book (that's what my friends call it) Playlist.
    It would come in handy if you were playing with "Old Dudes" that still used hard books;:
    btw
    I came here looking for One Note Samba changes.
    The ones from the original playlist seem wrong and I wanted to look for other versions .

Have we decided to start threads for individual songs ? This is really already in practice (see Somewhere Over The Rainbow)
    I wonder if a Disputed Changes sub-forum would help? If so there should be some rule to distinguish Basic Changes from
    Wacky Reharmonazations
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Hi Bobsax
    Members are advised to search before posting a "new"version of a song.
    If a thread for that song exists, post your version as a reply to that thread.
    If there's not a thread for that title, (yet) go ahead and start one titled: <SONG TITLE> - <COMPOSER>

When posting a re-harm or alternate version, it's best to mention that in your post and include some source information.
    "here's my own version (or reharm) using different changes” or "as played by <artist name>" or "from Vanilla Book 3” etc.
    When a new user searches for a title and is presented with several choices, the additional info is helpful.

When possible include a brief descriptive label in the CHART's title too. That helps a lot in keeping multiple versions of the tune in your library manageable.

Thanks
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    The changes in the GGB are just standard changes and so are the other books you mentioned. The better ones are those songs posted by users that say "reharm". Just search for whatever song you want. 95% of the songs you might think of are probably here. Ray
    In theory perhaps but not in actual practice. and regardless there should still be a playlist of the BlueBook so you can use it with folks that have the hard copy.
    I think we already have playlists of various books ? I hope they have been checked for accuracy?

The thing NOT TO DO is just grab tunes from other playlists and put them in a Bluebook playlist without checking the actual BB chart.
    btw
    I'm not talking keys here. We all know that can be easily changed. I've played gigs where folks were using the igigbook. They would have multiple versions of tunes all different (regardless of key) depending on the book, Sher, Hal Leonard , etc.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/forum...y-and-Analysis This site has many reharmonizations. Take a look and compare. Most of them are way better than the fake book chords.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    this thread brings up an important issue that many of us face.
    Inconsistent changes.
    This is usually a problem at pick up gigs.

I don't know if the blue book is still as vital as it used to be.
    In SanFrancisco during the 80's and 90's you had to have it.

Despite Bob's comments I do see a real use for a Blue Book (that's what my friends call it) Playlist.
    It would come in handy if you were playing with "Old Dudes" that still used hard books;:
    btw
    I came here looking for One Note Samba changes.
    The ones from the original playlist seem wrong and I wanted to look for other versions .

Have we decided to start threads for individual songs ? This is really already in practice (see Somewhere Over The Rainbow)
    I wonder if a Disputed Changes sub-forum would help? If so there should be some rule to distinguish Basic Changes from
    Wacky Reharmonazations
    I brought up this subject on the thread originally, as I had found some tunes (in my short time with the ireal program) that I didn't agree with on the changes. Having used the Great Gig Book (Blue Book) for a quite a while now, I am really happy with the changes on almost all the tunes... mainly because they are good changes. I had found some tunes here that even though I had downloaded a bunch of collections, and had 3 versions of some tunes, on these tunes the changes did not knock me out. (IMO of course)

An example is Beginning To See The Light. The GGB changes are just better to my ear than the charts I found here. Someone may have uploaded a better version here, but I didn't get it in my download of collections.

I can re-write that chart for myself for gigs. Not a big deal. But, it would be nice if a GGB collection were started in the forum and people could add charts to the collection if they have made a fresh chart using the GGB as the source. Some tunes, like the Mexican Hat Dance and ethnic songs like it are not of interest to me, so there are GGB selections that wouldn't be missed if they were left out.

However, there are many versions in the GGB that are superior (in various degrees) to other books. The point was made that fake books, in general, don't use the hippest changes. While true, there is nothing that precludes the charts here from being the best possible. Of course, what is the 'best' chart is subjective. I can't bitch at having hundreds and hundreds of jazz and standard charts already written out and available at the click of a mouse, even if I have to flavor some to my taste. But.... if there were a GGB thread where people could upload charts based on the GGB, I would certainly find that useful.

I guess the rub will be, are there enough people here interested in a GGB collection, and would people contribute enough to make it worth while. It would take some time and effort from someone to monitor the collection and make it into a cohesive book ready for download, without having bits and pieces scattered here and there. I have noticed that there are many lovely charts buried in the dark corridors and musty corners of this forum. (it is halloween after all). To make a collection of 'prefered changes' is not going to fly with everyone. As I indicated, my 'cool changes' may not be that to someone else. However, a collection of charts with changes found in the GGB would be a welcome addition to the many wonderful versions that are available here. : )

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by docdosco; 11-01-2015 at 01:11 AM.

We're all volunteers here...
    There are two ways to add GBB charts to the forums.

1. Someone can make the charts, (check them for accuracy, forum lay-out conventions and player compatibility) make sure each title is coded GBB (to avoid confusion) and post the complete playlist.

As an example see this:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...4052#post24052

2. As you you transcribe GBB charts to iRp format, post them individually in the discussion thread for that title.
    Start a new thread for that title if there isn't one already.
    As described in this post:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...3857#post33857

Thanks in advance for your submissions.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-01-2015 at 11:33 AM.