Thread: The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    PLAYER CHARTS vs. READER CHARTS
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...5854#post25854

I prefer to use "night mode" - white text, black background, all the time (except in bright sunlight).
    I rarely increase screen brightness above ~50%.

)BOB

Bob,

I must say that the depth of ireal is impressive even with one page charts. The white text/black bg is a useful hint also. Eventually when I get ireal on an iPad I'll be back with questions, no doubt. In the meantime, it sits on my MacBook Pro, and is the best $20 ever spent on a music program. The only other one that comes close is Transcribe!, but for other reasons of course.

BTW, if you look at I'm Beginning to see the light, you'll see the GGB at it's best. Probably not the original changes, but, these changes are super. Now, I have found several GGB charts that aren't as good as other places, but since I have so many fakes of jazz standards, I can browse the various versions if I need to. Also, my ear hears certain substitution as a matter of course, and those changes don't have to be written. It's only when there is a fundamental disagreement in changes.

There is a point about some books having vanilla changes. It's not the vanilla-ness of changes that I object to so much as changes that just don't sound optimal over the melody (and sometimes they are plain wrong to my ear). One can have solid changes in a chart without any upper extensions if the maj/min/7th chords are all found in the right places. Most of the musician's here, I suspect, are quite capable of of putting in their own major/minor/altered dominant extensions in. I don't need them written unless said extension is in the melody. It's the use of cool substitutions or compound chords/polychords can bring a chart to life oft times, however too many moving changes and slash chords can become cumbersome too. I am looking for clear, concise changes and for the most part, the ireal charts have that.

Anyway, Bob, keep up the good work. It's nice that you have taken such an interest in this forum. Herding cats, someone said? Ha!

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-02-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Hey Doc,
    Could you post a comparison for I'm Beginning To See The Light charts, iRp/GGB as I did for One Note Samba?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...3913#post33913
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-02-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Hey Doc,
    Could you post a comparison for I'm Beginning To See The Light charts, iRp/GBB as I did for One Note Samba?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...3913#post33913
    )BOB

Here are the GGB changes in the original key.

I'm Beginning To See The Light GGB - James - Ellington

My only caveat is that the changes are a bit choppy in the ireal rhythm section. They run together smoothly on my instrument. I play a few changes differently, but this is a good basic chart to start from.....

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-02-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks Doc.
    )BOB