Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco View Post
    These days, all I need usually is a lyric sheet on vocal tunes. Funny thing is that I retain changes easliy, but it is hard to recall lyrics. (must be a different part of the brain - one that I burned out with hard living!) I may have posted here about my memory issues. I posted somewhere... (gee I can't remember!). Ha!

I can remember lyrics on tunes I played in my youth with perfect acuity. These days it is not so easy. I have to force myself to remember the damn words, and still some verses slip away and then .... zzzzz... oh, here I am : )

I have printed chord charts for other people if they need them (which is why ireal has proved so valuable). Luckily, being an old fossil like myself, I have other old fossils that I call for gigs, and they generally know the all tunes.

So, Mexico? How did you end up there if you don't mind me asking? I suspect you aren't a fugitive, so it must abe another reason.

Doc Dosco
    I do the exact same thing Doc.
    I do ireal chord charts on my iPad for other musicians to use but I use a binder with just words that I tweek with Pages (Mac Word) to fit the page so I can read it from a distance.

Doh! I just read the fine print on the 1996 edition and as Bob said, and I should have noted ...that the pages are not continuous for more to be added later, which it appears never happened.

My printed copies are older than the 1996 edition too, but I did grab the newest PDF from online....

Doc
    Are you using iGigbook? I've been thinking of getting it but I wasn't sure how available the books were in digital form. I own them all in hard copy so I don't feel guilty about using it. So if the GGB has been digitized has iGigbook added it along with the missing pages?
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

These days, all I need usually is a lyric sheet on vocal tunes. Funny thing is that I retain changes easliy, but it is hard to recall lyrics. (must be a different part of the brain - one that I burned out with hard living!) I may have posted here about my memory issues. I posted somewhere... (gee I can't remember!). Ha!

I can remember lyrics on tunes I played in my youth with perfect acuity. These days it is not so easy. I have to force myself to remember the damn words, and still some verses slip away and then .... zzzzz... oh, here I am : )

I have printed chord charts for other people if they need them (which is why ireal has proved so valuable). Luckily, being an old fossil like myself, I have other old fossils that I call for gigs, and they generally know the all tunes.

So, Mexico? How did you end up there if you don't mind me asking? I suspect you aren't a fugitive, so it must abe another reason.

Doc Dosco
    Doc,

I don't sing, so no need to remember lyrics. Although, of course, having been exposed to so many standards for so long I know a good many of them.

I use iReal Pro for the bass and drum backing tracks. I'm the only jazz musician in this whole town, so I don't have a band, and the backing tracks give me a lot more freedom on the keys.

We retired to Mexico because we couldn't afford the States any longer. Because Mexico is unfortunately so poor and the dollar worth so much, down here we live very comfortably on Social Security and a small pension. It's absolutely beautiful country and weather, friendly people, and none of the pressures we had making a living in New York.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    Doc,

I don't sing, so no need to remember lyrics. Although, of course, having been exposed to so many standards for so long I know a good many of them.

I use iReal Pro for the bass and drum backing tracks. I'm the only jazz musician in this whole town, so I don't have a band, and the backing tracks give me a lot more freedom on the keys.

We retired to Mexico because we couldn't afford the States any longer. Because Mexico is unfortunately so poor and the dollar worth so much, down here we live very comfortably on Social Security and a small pension. It's absolutely beautiful country and weather, friendly people, and none of the pressures we had making a living in New York.

Cheers,
    Jer
    I figured that might be it. The cost of living in L.A. is high but nothing like New York (or should I say Manhattan, as that is really costly).

Well, the rhythm tracks are respectable on ireal and I guess with a bit of fudging you could write intros and such. Is there anywhere to play down there?

Oh, one other question if you know. Some charts cover the whole width of the page, yet others have larger margins, and sort of squashing the changes. I was wondering how and why that occurs. Perhaps for reading off a digital device maybe? I have found some charts that I would un-squash if I knew the command to do it.

Moderator edit
    Chart window size (MAC) discussion moved here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...rt-window-size
    )BOB

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-06-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsax View Post
    I do the exact same thing Doc.
    I do ireal chord charts on my iPad for other musicians to use but I use a binder with just words that I tweek with Pages (Mac Word) to fit the page so I can read it from a distance.

Are you using iGigbook? I've been thinking of getting it but I wasn't sure how available the books were in digital form. I own them all in hard copy so I don't feel guilty about using it. So if the GGB has been digitized has iGigbook added it along with the missing pages?

There are a bunch of PDF readers that musicians are using. I haven't jumped on one yet, but I checked out several of them online. Some are for Mac, some Android and some both. My upright player has 4score.

This might help:

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/...aders-For-iPad

This lists a bunch of readers for Mac. iGig is on the bottom of the page.

Everything is on PDF now. You just have to sniff them out. The GGB PDF is still up online, and the link to it is right at the beginning of this thread if you missed it. The Real Books 123, the New Real, Vocal Real books, plus dozens and dozens of jazz & standards books .....

Doc

There are a bunch of PDF readers that musicians are using...
    This is an old thread but mentions some of the PDF apps also.
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...g-using-Player
    The main ones currently seem to be forscore and unrealbook (iOS) and Mobilesheets (Android) - because they have all been around for a while and all receive regular updates with an active community using them.

Not sure this is the right place to post but I got this from the GGB.
    The changes are quite different from the Hal Leonard Realbook 2

Warm Valley GGB - Duke Ellington
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 05-11-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Hmmnn... charts vary wildly, you can tell a great arrangers work versus someone just filling in chords, iReal let's you do some pretty trick things. Some charts from collections definitely read better than others. Aim high!

I would use the Hal Leonard books (and the Chuck Sher books) before I would use the GGB.

The former have "modernized" chords to reflect the changes in jazz since the bebop era, whereas the GGB seems to rely on older changes found in sheet music and the old fake books.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

I keep a pdf indexed linked version of the GGB in my iPad. It's handy.