Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Default The Great Gig Book (Blue Book)

Has anyone heard of this priceless tome being converted into ireal?

It would be a ton of work to get it charted out, but the Great Gig Book is the most complete fake book out there, IMO. It has most of the 'Great American Songbook' in one place with good changes, very compact (usually 2 tunes per page with lyrics), it has specialty ethnic and holiday tunes, plus Latin and a ton of jazz heads. However, what makes it so valuable is that it has practically every standard you might want in it. (it misses a few, but not that many considering....)

If anyone is working on putting this into ireal format, I'd like to know.

Doc Dosco

Quote Originally Posted by docdosco View Post
    Has anyone heard of this priceless tome being converted into ireal?

It would be a ton of work to get it charted out, but the Great Gig Book is the most complete fake book out there, IMO. It has most of the 'Great American Songbook' in one place with good changes, very compact (usually 2 tunes per page with lyrics), it has specialty ethnic and holiday tunes, plus Latin and a ton of jazz heads. However, what makes it so valuable is that it has practically every standard you might want in it. (it misses a few, but not that many considering....)

If anyone is working on putting this into ireal format, I'd like to know.

Doc Dosco

"what makes it (GGB) so valuable is that it has practically every standard you might want in it."

You mean like my iReal pro library loaded-up from the forums?
    As I understand it, the GGB has only 297 pages and 768 charts. Is your understanding different?
    I'm sure you must already have the iRp 1300, Latin 50, Brazil 150, Contemp 25, Fusion 34, Holiday 100
    That's more than 1600 right there. With lots more posted separately.

So, before someone adds another 700-800 song playlist (essentially duplicating charts that are already posted here) please tell us what songs are missing here? Someone will likely add them. If you don't like *any* of the versions already posted for a tune, post one you like and tell us why you like it better.

Back when I carried a satchel full of paper fake books around, the GGB was a good resource. (not to mention melody and lyrics --not permitted in iRp) Now that I have more than 6000 transposing chord charts in my pocket (that are working GREAT for me) I'm not sure how many more massive playlists of the SAME songs we need.

I'd like to see significantly different versions of a song (like reharms) added to a single discussion thread for that song so that we can better examine what we like and how it will better suit our needs.

Let's work together to make the forums better and more useful, not just bigger.
    Thanks
    )BOB

Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-22-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    "what makes it (GGB) so valuable is that it has practically every standard you might want in it."

You mean like my iReal pro library loaded-up from the forums?
    As I understand it, the GGB has only 297 pages and 768 charts. Is your understanding different?
    I'm sure you must already have the iRp 1300, Latin 50, Brazil 150, Contemp 25, Fusion 34, Holiday 100
    That's more than 1600 right there. With lots more posted separately.

So, before someone adds another 700-800 song playlist (essentially duplicating charts that are already posted here) please tell us what songs are missing here? Someone will likely add them. If you don't like *any* of the versions already posted for a tune, post one you like and tell us why you like it better.

Back when I carried a satchel full of paper fake books around, the GGB was a good resource. (not to mention melody and lyrics --not permitted in iRp) Now that I have more than 6000 transposing chord charts in my pocket (that are working GREAT for me) I'm not sure how many more massive playlists of the SAME songs we need.

I'd like to see significantly different versions of a song added to a single discussion thread for that song so that we can better examine what we like and how it will better suit our needs.

Let's work to make the forums better and more useful, not just bigger.
    Thanks
    )BOB

Yikes.... I didn't think I'd have to defend the GGB. We're not at war, are we? : )

Yes, the ireal forum has versions of most jazz and standards, and most have decent changes (some have really good changes). There are also duplicates in the files I have downloaded. I have 3100 some tunes so far. I would like to compile a master list at some point, but I have only had ireal for about 2 to 3 weeks. I have fixed (to my liking anyway) about 20 charts so far. That may mean 1 or 2 chords changed or a doing a lot more editing than that on several. However the way I like the changes may not work for everyone.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/moneychords/ggb1.pdf

You have the GGB? This is a better version than the one I printed out years ago. More tunes, no crooked pages. Have a look. The changes are respectable on most of the GGB charts. And on many tunes, there are subtle (to more significant differences) between this book and the Real Books.

I just find that the GGB has great depth as a book. It's really all I have taken to my gigs for years except for my personal book/with lyrics. I don't pull the book out often anymore, but when I need to, it usually has what I need.

Therefore, I just thought it would be nice to have some good alternate chord changes on some of the tunes, but more than that, any tunes that aren't done on the forum, could be pulled from the GGB.

Frankly, there are tunes I play that aren't in any book I can find. So, none of the fakes help there.

I do agree that duplicates with very little difference to existing charts make no sense in a master list. However there are tunes that could be added ('Garden in the rain' comes to mind - but that is one of those tunes that is impossible to find most anywhere)

So, maybe instead of doing another version of 8 or 900 tunes, (I don't have the time anyway) we can collectively find some tunes that aren't already in the collections that are posted. And perhaps there are a few tunes with significantly different changes that could be added.

See, we agree after all.

I really like the ireal program. I have already printed 50 or 60 chord charts to stick in my master lyric book. At some point I will have to get mobile on ireal. It sits on my Macbook Pro at home right now. If I am to use it on a gig, I would need to co-ordinate it with lyrics. I can remember melodies and changes OK, but damed if I can remember a lyric. I recall lyrics perfectly from the 60's and 70's from when I was a little squirt guitarist. They just don't stick with me anymore.

Doc Dosco

Hi Doc,
    No joy on the angelfire link...can't connect.

I just posted GardenInTheRain.
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...nforth-Gibbons

I'll look forward to your contributions. (One by one rather than playlists please)

There's an example chart in this post
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...1306#post31306
    that might be helpful to you in adding "reminder" lyrics to personal iRp charts.

You are welcome to share alternate versions of posted songs.

Multiple versions of songs would be less of an issue if when posting a re-harm or alternate version, members would include some source information or description:
    "here's my own version using different changes” or "as performed by <artist name>" or "from Vanilia Book 3” etc.

When possible include a brief descriptive label in the chart's song title too.

Select "go advanced" and you can add a title to your post.

When a new user searches for a title and is presented with several choices, the additional info is helpful.

Thanks and welcome
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-22-2015 at 01:42 AM.

Bob,

Cool. I appreciate it.

The Angelfire comes up for me. Most of the GGB google links are the scam download websites, but the Anglefire guy just has it up on his website for some reson.

I found a few other tunes that didn't come up in the 3000 I have:

it’s a wonderful world
    lollipops and roses
    old man river
    our day will come
    you’d better love me

Perhaps they have been programmed into ireal already. They are just not in the batch I have.

This looks promising. If I could get lyrics on one side and ireal on the other, I'd be in heaven. The new bigger iPad is supposed to run 2 programs on a split screen. With that, one could run a PDF reader on one side and ireal on the other.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and I 'll post some things after I get more familiar with the program.

Cheers,

Doc Dosco
    Last edited by docdosco; 09-22-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks Doc,
    I just needed to be ...... More..........patient......... It's a big file. (Angelfire)

Be sure to try the forum search
    It's the Magnifying-glass icon at the top-right most any forums page.
    It's powered by Google so stuff has to be posted for a while before the Google-spiders can find it.

WhatAWonderfulWorld is in the jazz1300 Different song?
    ...There's this SamCooke Classic http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...orld-Sam-Cooke
    Lollipops...not yet
    *Ol'* ManRiver is in the 1300
    OurDayWillCome...several versions posted
    You'dBetterLoveMe (WhileYouMay) from HighSpirits?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...1338#post21338

Note: I ran the words together on purpose. That way when someone searches a song title this post won't waste their time in the results.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-22-2015 at 02:37 AM.

...WhatAWonderfulWorld is in the jazz1300 Different song?...
    Yes, different song. (My favorite version of ItsAWonderfulWorld is by PeggyLee.) I'll post my chart in TheForum.

Here
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...-What-A-quot-)
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-22-2015 at 02:56 AM.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks Doc,
    I just needed to be ...... More..........patient......... It's a big file. (Angelfire)

Be sure to try the forum search
    It's the Magnifying-glass icon at the top-right most any forums page.
    It's powered by Google so stuff has to be posted for a while before the Google-spiders can find it.

WhatAWonderfulWorld is in the jazz1300 Different song?
    ...There's this SamCooke Classic http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...orld-Sam-Cooke
    Lollipops...not yet
    *Ol'* ManRiver is in the 1300
    OurDayWillCome...several versions posted
    You'dBetterLoveMe (WhileYouMay) from HighSpirits?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...1338#post21338

Note: I ran the words together on purpose. That way when someone searches a song title this post won't waste their time in the results.
    )BOB
    Wow... I can't play stump the forum! You guys are on it.

What about a seprarate section to post new arrangements, (or do you have that?) I haven't explored the forum yet, so I will sound full of %$^& making suggestions.

I will tell you what I did as a newbie. I found 17 files of collections, 1300, Real books 123, Gypsy (just to get Coquette), and some files called Traditional Jazz, Great American Songbook, Pop, Beatles, Holiday 100, Jazz Standards. I have a lot of doubles, some triples. Some files are way better chord charts than others and I haven't made a master list (don't know how yet). Again, I am so new to this, I will have to learn my way around. The GGB has such cool changes on many tunes that I figured it would be worth getting charts on their alternate chord 'arrangements' on some tunes, .... however I will plug away and when I come up with a substantially different chords on a tune (or do a GGB tune), I'll post it. I just need to know where to stick it in the forum.

I had used the search feature, but it's nice to know how properly use the search engine.

Anyway, back to the grind... I appreciate the help.

Doc Dosco

PS .....It's a wonderful world (Sinatra) is the basis for Doxy (What a wonderful world is the Satchmo tune)

What about a seprarate section to post new arrangements, (or do you have that?) I haven't explored the forum yet, so I will sound full of %$^& making suggestion.
    <snip>
    when I come up with a substantially different chords on a tune (or do a GGB tune), I'll post it. I just need to know where to stick it in the forum.

I had used the search feature, but it's nice to know how properly use the search engine.

I appreciate the help.

Doc Dosco

In addition to the main playlists which are a good start for new members, we're moving towards having just ONE discussion thread for each song (per genere as many tunes cross-over between styles)

So post alternate versions (with description and, for example, GBB appended to the title) in an existing thread for that song in the appropriate forum. If a separate thread hasn't been started, go ahead and start it (titled: song title-composer name)

I look forward to your contributions.
    Please read this:
    Chart Layout Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-22-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Wow... I can't play stump the forum! You guys are on it.

What about a seprarate section to post new arrangements, (or do you have that?) I haven't explored the forum yet, so I will sound full of %$^& making suggestions.

I will tell you what I did as a newbie. I found 17 files of collections, 1300, Real books 123, Gypsy (just to get Coquette), and some files called Traditional Jazz, Great American Songbook, Pop, Beatles, Holiday 100, Jazz Standards. I have a lot of doubles, some triples. Some files are way better chord charts than others and I haven't made a master list (don't know how yet). Again, I am so new to this, I will have to learn my way around. The GGB has such cool changes on many tunes that I figured it would be worth getting charts on their alternate chord 'arrangements' on some tunes, .... however I will plug away and when I come up with a substantially different chords on a tune (or do a GGB tune), I'll post it. I just need to know where to stick it in the forum.

Anyway, back to the grind... I appreciate the help.

Doc Dosco

PS .....It's a wonderful world (Sinatra) is the basis for Doxy (What a wonderful world is the Satchmo tune)

The changes in the GGB are just standard changes and so are the other books you mentioned. The better ones are those songs posted by users that say "reharm". Just search for whatever song you want. 95% of the songs you might think of are probably here. Ray