Thread: I Have Dreamed - Rodgers-Hammerstein

Default I Have Dreamed - Rodgers-Hammerstein

I Have Dreamed - Reharm

The version of this in 1300 Jazz Tunes is pretty much vanilla. I added back in some of Richard Rodgers' beautiful harmonies and arranged the tune rhythmically.

I Have Dreamed Rev - Rodgers-Hammerstein

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-12-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Default I Have Dreamed -- another version

"I Have Dreamed" is a song from the 1951 Broadway musical "The King and I," with lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein and music by Richard Rodgers and the 1956 film of the same name. It was also featured in the 1995 film "The American President." It is a companion piece with "Getting To Know You," a chart for which I posted last month. It is another example of Roger's repeated use of a melodic cell to craft a tightly-composed and very lovely song.

The song has an unusual structure: call it AA'A"B. The three A's each are 8 measures in length and all start with the same 2-measure melodic/harmonic cell, each starting on a different scale degree. The first and third A each use the cell twice, so that there are a total of five uses of the cell within the first 24 measures of the song. The B section is 12 measures in length and bears no melodic relationship to the A section.

There are many version available on YouTube. My chord chart follows the harmonies in a beautiful recording by the late singer Nancy LaMott (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu2a_ZEsi_o) and is a different take from Jerry's fine chart presented above. It has a simple 4-measure intro vamp. I play it with a light-rock feel and use the Latin–Brazil: Bossa Acoustic style at 100 bpm. Lead sheets can be found in The Ultimate Fake Book and The Ultimate Broadway Fake Book, both published by Hal Leonard.

I hope you like the chart. I enjoy playing this beautiful, unfortunately neglected tune from almost 70 years ago.

I Have Dreamed (k ver) - Rodgers-Hammerstein
    Last edited by Keith88; 11-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Nice one, Keith.

I like the change from the other versions with the alternation of the I and IVm6 chords.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website