Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.S. D.C. Coda markers

Default D.S. D.C. Coda markers

As I understood the help file on this topic, the only way to get the song play the coda at the very end of the song (after last chorus), is to omit any D.C. or D.S. markers.
    This is cool, but I still need those markers to jump to other parts of the songs (I can't use repeat signs because the repeating section involves too many bars).
    So, I was wondering if there would be a way to still be able to use D.C. or D.S. markers to jump freely anywhere in the song and having the coda being played only once at the very end of the song. Maybe by simply adding a new marker called "D.C." or "D.S", without the words "al coda" or "al fine"?

Is this the "help file" you mentioned?
    http://irealpro.com/how-the-coda-sym...-in-ireal-pro/

Please share your problem chart. Describe what you want to do with that chart. Folks can look at it and see if the player can be made to do it.

As I understand it, the player gets confused by more than one "jump" (DS or DC) instruction.
    )BOB

Here's a chart as example:
    Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton

In this chart, all I need is the player to jump to the beginning of the song (intro) when the D.C. marker occurs and then at the very end of the song, go straight to the coda to end the song.

Does this work as you intend?

Tears In Heaven 1 - Eric Clapton

Repeat brackets are always used in pairs, so I added a start-repeat @ A.
    Like I said, the player doesn't like more than ONE DC/DS instruction.
    setting the player to 2x allows the coda to occur the "final" time.

Player charts vs. Reader charts
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...5854#post25854
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-02-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Would love to see improvements in this area.

- DrDeFab, weekend warrior.

Hello Bob,
    I appreciate your help!
    Your trick is cool (I haven't thought about it) and it could be useful for some other songs.
    However, for this particular song, it doesn't solve anything. When the song reach the end, it jumps to the verse section ("A" rehearsal mark) instead of the very beginning (intro). This is why I need a "real" D.C. marker that is supposed to jump to the very beginning of the song.
    Thanks anyway!
    Cyrille

Does this chart play the way you want?

Tears In Heaven 2 - Eric Clapton

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-04-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Hello Bob,
    Yes, this one is playing exactly the way I want it. Thanks a lot for helping!
    However, because the chart doesn't show any clear indication to go back to the top (D.C.), I will still need to keep my original chart for reading purpose and using yours for the player.
    It would be nice if we could just have a chart that works for both reading purpose and playing purpose. I don't really like having duplicate songs in my library.
    But for now, I will use your idea and chart setting when I need the song to be*played.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Cyrille

How about this?

Tears In Heaven 3 - Eric Clapton

By adding the text: "DC" the reader knows what is intended but the player feature isn't confused since the instruction's format isn't what the player feature is looking for. "DC" is ignored the same as your text "outro" is ignored by the player, yet it is understood by the reader.

Technically, a DC instruction though helpful to you, isn't really required. Since the coda is only played the final time, the form before the coda would naturally be repeated. "Fine" denotes the end of the form and the coda sign above the first space in a measure indicates the start of the coda-section.

Perhaps if the coda were separated from the final B-section it would be less likely to be accidently included with the form.
    Here I've moved the coda-section down one system and separated it a bit as well.

Tears In Heaven 4 - Eric Clapton

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-07-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Yes, that's a good idea. I also thought of adding a DC text that is not understood by the player to make it obvious for the reader.
    Thanks again for helping,
    Cheers,
    Cyrille