Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with new download after not using for a while

That is interesting (and frustrating!)
    Have you tried logging in as another user (or creating one) and testing?
    You are only testing with the internal speakers? I presume they work ok with playing music etc?

I'm not very tech savvy so bear that in mind. It's a Mac Mini and it's connected by HDMI cable to the receiver I use for surround sound. I'm running Spotify, YouTube etc on the machine without any sound problems.

There's a new piece of info - if I click on the audio output in the bottom left hand corner, there are 3 options - HDMI/Built in Output/Instant On Sound Effects. When I open the program it (correctly) shows HDMI as selected. If the sound stops working I seem to be able to get it back by clicking on one of the other options and then clicking on HDMI again. This is less hassle than shutting down and re-opening the program so a step forward, but of course it would be better still if the sound didn't disappear in the first place.

Try disconnecting the HDMI from the Mac, then selecting Built-in Output (you might have to turn up the volume to hear it).
    Does this work ok?
    (This is what I meant in a previous post about using the Mac's internal speakers)
    Try a few different songs when you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Try disconnecting the HDMI from the Mac, then selecting Built-in Output (you might have to turn up the volume to hear it).
    Does this work ok?
    (This is what I meant in a previous post about using the Mac's internal speakers)
    Try a few different songs when you do this.
    Not straightforward. There's no display for the Mac except my TV which is connected by HDMI. Disconnect that and there's no display.

However if I set it to Built-in Output, start playing a song and then disconnect the HDMI there's no sound (whether or not the HDMI is connected).

Could you try using the spacebar to trigger Play, so you can set to built-in output and unplug the HDMI then press the spacebar? This means the audio is not interrupted by disconnecting the HDMI while it is trying to play (you are starting play with the built-in output active).
    Let me know if this works or not.
    (I would have thought that the audio should be able to go out the built-in speaker while still connected to the HDMI for your screen though.)
    You could also set up iTunes or some audio player and see if the internal speaker plays with those (not out the HDMI).
    Thanks.