Thread: Your Mind Is On Vacation - Mose Allison

Default Your Mind Is On Vacation - Mose Allison

Your Mind Is On Vacation - draft vrs- - Mose Allison

Jazz Med Swing at 110

Kinda surprised to not find many songs posted by the great Mose Allison (I only found one when I did a search). I know he's not the most revolutionary jazzman, but his lyrical sense is very sharp & to me, hilarious. Plus, he's just cool.

This is my draft version of his classic "Your Mind Is On Vacation" (& Your Mouth Is Working Overtime). It's based on what I assume is his original version, from The Best of Mose Allison, which I just recently got.

This is a draft version because I can't figure out how to edit the form to get the iReal Player to play the Coda where it belongs (at the end of the song). The problem w/ this song is that it's 3 verses based on the blues, & V. 1 is a standard 12 bar blues, but then V. 2 & V. 3 extend the I chord 4 more bars before it goes to the IV chord, making those verses 16 bar blues, a la some of the Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters songs like "Hoochie Koochie Man" & "Seventh Son" (which Mose also covered).

There is a solo section based on 12 bar blues, & after one repetition of that section (which is what Mose's original does), I put a D.S. al 2nd Ending, which takes the song thru V. 3. But then I can't figure out how to get the player to go to the Coda, which should happen after the E flat bar right before the solo section (after the solos & V. 3).

In other words, the form should be (w/ the Player set to 1x):

Verse 1 (12 bar blues)
    Verse 2 (16 bar blues)
    Solo section (2x thru 12 bar blues)
    Verse 3 (16 bar blues)
    Coda

Any help w/ getting the iReal player to play the Coda at the end of this song is very much appreciated. Thx!

MCJazzer
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-12-2015 at 03:57 PM.

So, ABCCB Coda

Does this version play as you want?

Your Mind Is On Vacation - draft vrs- 1 - Mose Allison

Add bar-repeats on space 2 in 4-space measures so they'll appear in the middle of the measure.

Chart Layout Conventions
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...&p=301#post301

PLAYER CHARTS vs. READER CHARTS
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...5854#post25854

Coda
    Be sure to read the updated Coda instructions in this Blog:
    http://irealpro.com/how-the-coda-sym...-in-ireal-pro/

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-17-2015 at 12:44 PM.

Hey Bob - thx so much, your re-working makes it play exactly as I wanted. Sorry to take a week to get back in this, very busy week, but I do appreciate it. Thanks!