Thread: ritard feature requested

Default ritard feature requested

Please add a ritard feature, it's very useful to slow down song ending making a smoother ending.

Quote Originally Posted by ktnwin2012 View Post
    Please add a ritard feature, it's very useful to slow down song ending making a smoother ending.
    The player feature doesn't alter the set tempo for rirtardondo/fermata etc. unlike a live ensemble there are no visual cues between players as to when and how much and how quickly to slow down making it difficult to keep together. I also suspect it's technically complicated to alter the "clock".
    Yet another reason to play/perform with other musicians...
    It has been requested before.
    )BOB

I also suspect it's technically complicated to alter the "clock".
    Developing software is my life career. It is not that complicated to slow down a song.

There is a clock ticks in any computer based device (tablets, cell phones, PC, laptops, even digital watches).
    For example, is the built in clock is 10MHz (10,000,000 ticks per seconds)
    And based on the tempo (100 BPM), each beat has the duration of 10,000,000 / 100 = 100,000 ticks if the tempo is steady.

If we want to add a ritard from 100 BPM down to 60 BPM over 8 beats (2 measures in 4/4 time)
    The "apps" can makes the computation as shown in the table below:
    Starting from 100 BPM slowing down by 5 BPM per beat to reach 60 BPM in 8 beats:

beat# BPM #ticks
    last......60.....166,666
    (sorry, I have to use the dots to keep the table above in proper spacing)

So, the apps only needs to increase the number of ticks in a beat and NOT really alter any clock (a hardware timer in the device).
    Any software programmer can do this.
    And all these are done when the apps generate the song, not during actual play time.
    Last edited by ktnwin2012; 07-13-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Default Rits and Ralls

I'd love to see a facility for slowing or accelerating the tempo.

I'd like to see this too.

I agree; the ability to do a retardando would be great for the ending of tunes. The issues would be: the rate that the tempo slows down; the final tempo; does it only work at the end of a tune. Stuff like that. I think that its implementation is more complicated than one might think at first blush. Another challenge for the development team…

Because this is google search #1 hit I want to confirm this feature has not been added as of Feb.2021?
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

no it has not been added Bob. We still have it on our list