Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem with random key changes

Quote Originally Posted by MCJazzer View Post
    As far Green Dolphin St., that's amazing to hear, I've been playing that song in C maj for 30 years, as have other folks I've played w/. C maj is the key it's in in the original Real Book, the "illegal" one from Berklee.
    True, the one in that original Real book is in C. In the updated legal versions published by Hal Leonard, Volume IV has it in Eb. Also Eb in the New Real book series (Sher music) (volume 3).
    Like you, I usually play it in C although some horn players call it in Eb.

I must be hitting the Song Transpose key somehow by mistake as I'm playing around w/tempo, rhythm styles, etc. Sorry.
    It might have imported set in F# (default key) but shown initially in A. This is normal if the song was set to A in song view (it remembers).
    Or you could have inadvertently changed it in song view as you say. There is a fast mode where you can tap on the key (or repeats, tempo) and drag up to change the value. (This is explained in the Tutorial>Player). You probably did not do this without knowing you were doing it, but it could have been possible also.

Here is the original song that I downloaded off the forum (post titled "Joe Jackson") - it shows as A maj, but it's set in F# (Gb) when I go imto Edit & then Info:

Breaking Us In Two 1 - Joe Jackson

Just realized that that is a copy I made, here is the original one - it shows up in F#, I swear that it showed as A when I first saw it. I must be hitting the Song Transpose key somehow by mistake as I'm playing around w/tempo, rhythm styles, etc. Sorry.

As far Green Dolphin St., that's amazing to hear, I've been playing that song in C maj for 30 years, as have other folks I've played w/. C maj is the key it's in in the original Real Book, the "illegal" one from Berklee.
    Ok, so just to be clear the transpose issue with this chart is resolved: the chart is default F#(Gb) and now transposes correctly...even if the mystery remains unsolved, right?
    )BOB

Default I think everything's allright

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    Ok, so just to be clear the transpose issue with this chart is resolved: the chart is default F#(Gb) and now transposes correctly...even if the mystery remains unsolved, right?
    )BOB
    I think I've figured out what I was (stupidly) doing wrong, mostly it was prob. me accidentally hitting the Song Transpose button as I was playing around w/ tempo, diff. rhythm styles, etc. Sorry 'bout all the trouble, but thanks!

No worries, as more features have been added, the interface has become more complex and the learning curve steeper.
    Thanks for sticking with it and helping figure out what may have been going on.
    )BOB