Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most - Tommy Wolf

Default Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most - Tommy Wolf

My version of this great tune. It doesn't break any ground harmonically, but it's rhythmically interesting, in Swing Two/Four time.

Spring Can Really Revised - Tommy Wolf
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Jerry, thanks for this! I love what you did here. It was one of my favorite ballads, but I like your treatment even better.

I generally try to avoid using global repeats in iReal Pro except on practice charts. On performance charts, I like to see the whole arrangement in front of me. Just a personal preference of mine.

So, I rewrote your chart using internal repeats, but keeping your full arrangement. I also isolated those lone bass notes of yours, just guessing that you intended that they not be necessarily tied to a chord being played simultaneously. (The only drawback is that an initial error message appears, but that disappears when you just tap OK.) And I added an intro taken from your first A section.

Spring Can Really - Revised 2 - Tommy Wolf

If I had your ear and experience, I'd try this with other ballads. Thanks, again, this is really fun to play.

(Massimo, you are a bass-programming genius.)

Jack
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 06-11-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    Jerry, thanks for this! I love what you did here. It was one of my favorite ballads, but I like your treatment even better.

I generally try to avoid using global repeats in iReal Pro except on practice charts. On performance charts, I like to see the whole arrangement in front of me. Just a personal preference of mine.

So, I rewrote your chart using internal repeats, but keeping your full arrangement. I also isolated those lone bass notes of yours, just guessing that you intended that they not be necessarily tied to a chord being played simultaneously. (The only drawback is that an initial error message appears, but that disappears when you just tap OK.) And I added an intro taken from your first A section.

If I had your ear and experience, I'd try this with other ballads. Thanks, again, this is really fun to play.

(Massimo, you are a bass-programming genius.)

Jack
    Thanks much.

Your version wouldn't play on my iPod or my laptop because of the form error.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

the player doesn't "get" the W./x chords (with the dot), but will play Jack's chart now. (Solved the ending issue)

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 06-12-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    the player doesn't "get" the W./x chords (with the dot), but will play Jack's chart now. (Solved the ending issue)

)BOB
    Yes, it plays now that you've cleaned up the endings.

The dot doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Jack, are those dots an accident?

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    The dot doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
    are those dots an accident?
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...0120#post30120
    )BOB

Hey, Bob, I could have sworn I tried that ending arrangement and that it wouldn't work right on my equipment, but I really must not have tried it because your correction is working for me now. Much better, thanks!

Jack

The player gets upset when there is more than one D.S. instruction.
    )BOB

Yes, Bob, it's much cleaner now. I don't know why I thought I had to use that strange work around; it's clearly not needed.

Jerry, maybe on your equipment the added dot doesn't do anything, I dunno. But on my iPhone 5 it allows your lone bass notes (like "/Bb") to sound by themselves on Playback. Otherwise--on my iPhone, at least--I always get a crash of the most-recent chord along with the bass note. Just depends on whether you want to hear that bass note alone. The dot lets that happen. (I don't remember who of us discovered that dot feature; it wasn't me.) You do have to put up with the initial error message at the top, but that's easily dispensed with by tapping "OK" during the countdown.

What I'd really love to see is the ability to select and play bass notes separately along two or even three octaves, say by entering /E1 to /E4 or even /B0 to /G4, without having to use the dot and get that error message.

Wouldn't iRP's bass players love that, Massimo? I'll never play bass as well as your algorithm does, I don't mean that I ever could, but it sure would be great to have that bass flexibility.

Jack

Jerry, I just discovered your 90 Revised Standards Playlist you posted in Sandbox.

Wow.

Thank you.

Jack