Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most - Tommy Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    Jerry, maybe on your equipment the added dot doesn't do anything, I dunno. But on my iPhone 5 it allows your lone bass notes (like "/Bb") to sound by themselves on Playback. Otherwise--on my iPhone, at least--I always get a crash of the most-recent chord along with the bass note. Just depends on whether you want to hear that bass note alone. The dot lets that happen. (I don't remember who of us discovered that dot feature; it wasn't me.) You do have to put up with the initial error message at the top, but that's easily dispensed with by tapping "OK" during the countdown.

Jack
    Oh, I get it now.

I'm a pianist, so I use only the bass and drums as backing tracks, omitting the piano and guitar.

Thanks for clarifying the dot, guys.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 06-15-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    Jerry, I just discovered your 90 Revised Standards Playlist you posted in Sandbox.

Wow.

Thank you.

Jack
    Thanks, Jack.

I used to download backing tracks from Ralph Blatt and Jamey Aebersold. But since discovering iReal Pro I've been transferring all my tracks to it. It's not as lifelike as the others, naturally, but I like its flexibility.

And since I hope people are focussing on my piano playing rather than on the backing tracks, the iReal Pro tracks work just fine for me.

I'll keep updating the Playlist as I add more tunes, going through Sandbox to transfer the Playlist from my laptop to my iPod.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Last edited by engelbach; 06-15-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

And here's my version (with some colorful chord voicings). One might take issue with the first bar of the [C] section, but I've found this progression to be very helpful to singers who have trouble recovering from the Bridge.

Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C) - Tommy Wolf-Fran Landesman

Thank you, Jack.

Is "90" how many for which I have "Rev JE" after the name? I never counted them.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Dale,

Good chart.

I think 7 bars before the end you meant not E9 but E7b9, as the melody is on F natural.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Default Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C) 2

Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C)2 - Tommy Wolf-Fran Landesman

This is simplified from Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C). The assumption is that, at most, only root, 3rd, and 7th of each chord get played. That keeps us from interfering with all the demolished 5ths, 9ths, etc etc.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-29-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Moved to existing song thread

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdoidge View Post
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C)2 - Tommy Wolf-Fran Landesman

This is simplified from Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (C). The assumption is that, at most, only root, 3rd, and 7th of each chord get played. That keeps us from interfering with all the demolished 5ths, 9ths, etc etc.

Sorry, it's too simplified. There are chords in the song that require a fifth or flatted fifth, particularly when the the melody is the fifth.
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-29-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Fixed "quote" section

And I would like to add another possibility for that. I have switched it over to 6/8. Actually really enjoy it there it gives it a little job that it’s always seemed lacking to me. Unfortunately IRP does not handle 6/8 very elegantly so you have to use your imagination a bit, but the feeling is there. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most 1 - Tommy Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by janprimus View Post
    And I would like to add another possibility for that. I have switched it over to 6/8. Actually really enjoy it there it gives it a little job that it’s always seemed lacking to me. Unfortunately IRP does not handle 6/8 very elegantly so you have to use your imagination a bit, but the feeling is there. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most 1 - Tommy Wolf
    See if 3/2 feels more to your liking:
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most 2 - Tommy Wolf

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-28-2017 at 03:28 AM.

That works perfectly, Bob.

However, iReal Pro doesn't treat 3/2 as 3/2, with three beats to the bar. It treats it as 6/4, with two groups of three beats each to the bar, which is why it works in your version.

So for notation, it's more accurate to use 6/4.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website