Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 time signature

Default 5/4 time signature

I'm trying to do a 5/4 time signature but the measures don't space evenly across the chart. The play marker goes off in a random part of the screen once the 1st line is played. Am I missing something or is it a bug?
    Thanks for any advice!
    54 tester
    Last edited by seadub; 05-11-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seadub View Post
    I'm trying to do a 5/4 time signature but the measures don't space evenly across the chart. The play marker goes off in a random part of the screen once the 1st line is played. Am I missing something or is it a bug?
    Thanks for any advice!
    54 tester
    IReal Pro seems to be set up to put an even number of beats across each line, and you have 15 beats.

One workaround is to add an extra blank measure of one beat to each line to bring the number of beats up to 16. It won't look pretty, but the extra blank measure won't play.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

For time signatures other than 4/4 it's not always necessary to increase/decrease the number of spaces in each measure.
    Some experimentation is helpful to learn the player's behavior in response to chord placement.
    )BOB

As you might have worked out by now, for most songs you can just change the time signature and it will play (although some styles will not play in some time sigs, like Swing 3/8) without having to change now many spaces are within each measure. The player will look at the time sig, spacing of the chords and how many spaces are in the measure to work out where it will play the chords. You might have to use 5 spaces in some measures, other times, perhaps a couple of spaces for a measure where there is only one chord should work. 5/4 will work with 4 spaces. Try different placements of the chords in different spaces within the measure. You will get errors on pressing play if the player does not know what to do.
    There is no rhythm notation input the player knows, so the player is a bit limited if you need a specific rhythm.

Thanks everyone- I'll try tinkering with it more!

Take 5 comes out of the pack with 4 bars across and a 5/4 sig and it plays OK

Quote Originally Posted by seadub View Post
    Thanks for any advice!
    54 tester
    Just change the time signature in the Edit mode. Works for me. Even the count off is in five.
    P.S. Make sure you put your 2nd chord in the spot where you would put beat 3 in a bar of 4/4. That way you'll get 3/4-2/4
    Last edited by raymb1; 10-21-2015 at 08:02 PM.

It depends on what you want to do with the tune. It does work fine to leave four beats in the measure and specify a 5/4 time signature.

However, I often like to have more control over the actual bass line, so I would probably prefer to use measures with five beats in them.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    It depends on what you want to do with the tune. It does work fine to leave four beats in the measure and specify a 5/4 time signature.

However, I often like to have more control over the actual bass line, so I would probably prefer to use measures with five beats in them.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Control over the actual bass line would be great. I've asked if Massimo could add the ability to designate actual bass notes from /B0 to /G4, which would cover double bass, and also bass guitar, I think. Hoping that can be done. It'd be a lot of fun to have that ability.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    Control over the actual bass line would be great. I've asked if Massimo could add the ability to designate actual bass notes from /B0 to /G4, which would cover double bass, and also bass guitar, I think. Hoping that can be done. It'd be a lot of fun to have that ability.
    Jack,

Right. We do have control over the notes in the bass, but as you indicate, not the octave.

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Music Website
    Art Website