Thread: How do I add chords to a new song?

Default How do I add chords to a new song?

I'm a beginner with this program, and this seems like the most basic question possible, but how do you add chords to a song?

The editor seems to only allow triads. How do you specify 7th chords, minor chords, flat 9s and all that? On the demo "how to enter a song in 3 minutes", it's hard to tell what the user is doing, but it appears to be keystrokes. Is there a reference sheet for what keystrokes go with what chords?

Is there a GUI where you pick chord, then the quality/extension/bass note/suffix?

This is for Mac OS X.

Quote Originally Posted by cdavey View Post
    I'm a beginner with this program, and this seems like the most basic question possible, but how do you add chords to a song?

The editor seems to only allow triads. How do you specify 7th chords, minor chords, flat 9s and all that? On the demo "how to enter a song in 3 minutes", it's hard to tell what the user is doing, but it appears to be keystrokes. Is there a reference sheet for what keystrokes go with what chords?

Is there a GUI where you pick chord, then the quality/extension/bass note/suffix?

This is for Mac OS X.
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...=8477#post8477
    )BOB

There is a drop down menu for making chords; click on the arrow at the chord window for the letter of the chord, once it appears, click on the arrow again for the qualities to list.
    However you might find it easier using the Mac keyboard for at least some of the input, especially for some of the more common chords. For example C7 I find it easier to just type in a letter 'c' then '7' than clicking the menu, or c 6 9 for C6/9 etc.

You can use the Return key on the Mac keyboard to move along. Using the other key commands as outlined in Bob's link in the previous post, you can get quite fast for editing or input.

Tip: if you are editing an existing chord, you do not have to delete it, just use the Mac keyboard to enter the chord's letter then add the quality.