Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Rush - Gerry Mulligan

Default What's the Rush - Gerry Mulligan

What's the Rush- does anyone have a chord chart for this song please, I would be very to add it to my repertoire! Thanks and hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Mand View Post
    What's the Rush- does anyone have a chord chart for this song please, I would be very to add it to my repertoire! Thanks and hoping!
    I'm also looking for the chart for this exact same song. After thorough search, all I came up with is that it is included in the "Hal Leonard Jazz Classics Fake Book". The original collection with the black cover, which unfortunately is out of print. I tried to purchase an e-chart from the major online sheet music stores, but it is not in their list. In YouTube the best recordings are from the collaboration of Gerry Mulligan with Judy Holliday (vocals) and Johnny Hodges (alto sax). This is a beautifull song! I'm hoping too that someone has it, or could send a link where I can get it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ramon C; 04-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.

I m hoping to have it too, any update after 2 years?

Default What's the Rush - Gerry Mulligan

Thanks for letting me know this beautiful song.

I didn’t realize the request two years ago but after the latest one I couldn’t resist creating the chart, putting it into my library and sharing it here.

The key of the song is complicated but I finally chose E-flat.

Hope this helps.

What's The Rush - Judy Holiday - Gerry Mulligan

Sorry. I corrected a chord in Coda as in B section.
    Sorry again. I corrected C-9 to C-7b5 in Section A.
    Last edited by shin1ro; 01-12-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: correction

Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.

shin1ro,

Great transcription of a beautiful, unjustly neglected tune. Much appreciated.

I agree with Eb as the key, even though the A section ends in Bb. It's tricky the way the B section seems as if it also will end in Bb, but an extra bar migrates it to Eb.

For anyone interested, Bob's link is to Judy Holiday singing it in Bb. The Eb version (which I assume was the source for your transcription) is played by Gerry Mulligan and Johnny Hodges:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1TUorltBE

Cheers,
    Jer
    Jerry Engelbach
    Pianist • Arranger • Composer
    Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, México
    Music Website
    Art Website
    The Internationale Website

Cool tune, though the whole tune kinda feels like a "verse" to me.
    )BOB

BOB pdxdjazz and Jer engelbach,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I referred to the Gerry Mulligan and Johnny Hodges version.
    -- Well, I actually found and bought probably a reissued one in "Complete Recordings 1959-1962) from Apple's iTune. But I believe it's the same version as in "Mulligan and Hodges" album.

This post caught my eye because I knew Gerry Mulligan's song Night Lights is really beautiful. This song may be almost forgotten by many but I believe it'd be nice if this song would be included in all fake books.

As for the key, it sounds like being in key Gb in some part too.
    And I think this floating key and irregular 9 bars in B section make this song somewhat nicely mysterious as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shin1ro View Post
    BOB pdxdjazz and Jer engelbach,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I referred to the Gerry Mulligan and Johnny Hodges version.
    -- Well, I actually found and bought probably a reissued one in "Complete Recordings 1959-1962) from Apple's iTune. But I believe it's the same version as in "Mulligan and Hodges" album.

This post caught my eye because I knew Gerry Mulligan's song Night Lights is really beautiful. This song may be almost forgotten by many but I believe it'd be nice if this song would be included in all fake books.

As for the key, it sounds like being in key Gb in some part too.
    And I think this floating key and irregular 9 bars in B section make this song somewhat nicely mysterious as well.
    Thank you so much for creating this chart! Beautifully done and quite accurate. Worth the 2 1/2 years of waiting! (see earlier post). I didn't realize how complicated the song is until you laid out the chord progression. The song does sound deceptively simple, but I had trouble transcribing it in the past, and had to settle playing along the recordings ( Gerry Mulligan with Judy Holliday; Mulligan with Jonny Hodges).

Self deleted (double post)
    Last edited by Ramon C; 01-12-2018 at 03:23 PM.