Thread: Newbie question on keys

Default Newbie question on keys

I'm playing alto sax so I've set my global key to Eb in the preferences. But when I select a song in the main menu, the bottom-right button indicates the song is in another key. Do I have to manually select Eb for each song or am I missing something?

Thanks

Transposing can be confusing.
    The global setting for transposed instruments transposes the chords in ALL the charts to reflect the interval between your instrument and the concert key. The iRp player continues to play in concert while the chords for your instrument are displayed.

The bottom-right transpose button changes the concert key for only the displayed chart. (Which will display the new chords for your instrument, unless the global transpose function is set to C, in which case the concert chords will be shown)
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 03-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.

So the bottom-right button is similar to the key signature for the song?

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgeezer View Post
    So the bottom-right button is similar to the key signature for the song?
    Short answer: yes
    Longer answer: the chart's default concert-key is designated in the editor when it is written. The default key can also be re-set in the editor and the chords transposed to the new default key (or not, which leads to no end of confusion)
    Using the transpose button the songs key can be readjusted. (The chart still has a default key, we're just playing it in a different key) so, if everything has been set correctly....yes, the bottom-right button should show the (current) concert key.
    Global transpose is in addition to that. It changes the C-RealBook to a Bb-RealBook or to an Eb-RealBook.
    )BOB