Thread: import xml file

Default import xml file

This software can export an xml file, why can it not import one? AFAIK. Or if you know how to make it. Or a third party utility to take an xml file, strip out all melody info an just create an irealpro file that I can import???

Unfortunately there is no music XML import currently. I am not aware of any other way to create a iReal Pro song other than using the (built-in) editor.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Unfortunately there is no music XML import currently. I am not aware of any other way to create a iReal Pro song other than using the (built-in) editor.
    Yes it s a shame

hope it will possible soon

thanks

steven

I am currently working on a set of tools that produce music from different inputs, and generating iRealPro songs is one of the targets.

One is an (experimental) enhanced version of playtab, a tool I developed some 20 years ago and still use on a daily basis. As you can see the playtab input format is similar to the iRealPro editor. The enhanced version can generate PDF documents that look like this.

Another tool is a Perl based DSL to create music. The input looks like:

Code:
    song "You're Still The One";
    composer "Shania Twain";
    key "D";
    tempo 120;
    style "Rock Ballad";

section "Intro";

repeat { D 4; chord "D", "Maj/F#", 4; G; A; };

section "A";

repeat { D 4; chord "D", "Maj/F#", 4; G; A; };

section "B";

D 4; chord "D", "Maj/F#", 4; G; A; 
    repeat { D 4; G; A; A; };

... and so on ...
    (Note that 'D 4' is just shorthand for 'chord "D", "Maj", 4', etc.)
    The enhanced version of playtab can generate this DSL for you.

The third tool is a primitive web-based editor that allows editing an iRealPro song in its textual (irealbook://) format:

Code:
    # Song 1: My Funny Valentine (Rodgers Richard)
    # Style: Ballad; key: Eb

*A
    [T44C-6 ___ |Dh7(C-^7/B) _ G7b9 _ |C-7(C-7/Bb) ___ |F7(C-6/A) ___ |Ab^7 ___ |F-7 ___ |Dh7 ___ |G7b9 ___ ]
    *A
    [C-6 ___ |Dh7(C-^7/B) _ G7b9 _ |C-7(C-7/Bb) ___ |F7(C-6/A) ___ |Ab^7 ___ |F-7 ___ |Fh7(B7) ___ |Bb7 ___ ]
    *B
    [Eb^7 _ F-7 _ |G-7 _ F-7 _ |Eb^7 _ F-7 _ |G-7 _ F-7 _ |Eb^7 _ G7b9 _ |sC-7,B7,Bb-7,A7,l|Ab^7 ___ |Dh7 _ G7b9 _ ]
    ... and so on ...
    (Underscores denote empty positions in the measure.)

All tools/enhancements are under active development right now but not mature for sharing. Stay tuned (but don't hold your breath).