Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melody and Lyrics...???

Default Melody and Lyrics...???

I have hundreds of song lyrics (with chords) in Word files and I'd like to put them in my iPad with the same format that the Real Book uses. It is brilliant. Any ideas how to do this?

Default .doc to irb

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I have hundreds of song lyrics (with chords) in Word files and I'd like to put them in my iPad with the same format that the Real Book uses. It is brilliant. Any ideas how to do this?
    No melodies
    No lyrics
    No "lead sheets"
    Chord charts only
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...es&p=49#post49

Lyrics, melody, chords
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...1306#post31306

The three elements that comprise a song are:
    Chords, melody and lyrics.
    I think if you publish a melody, lyrics or any two or three together and you may risk copyright infringement.
    More:
    http://irealb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=704&postcount=2

IRB only supports chord charts. Yes, it would be cool if there were separate apps that would merge and simultaneously display the separately available files without actually connecting them in violation of copyright.

I know of no easy way to translate chords over lyrics in a .doc file to chords within measures as an IRB file.

If you are willing to share chord charts to tunes not yet posted here (more than 2000 so far), It would be great.

Using the editor makes it go pretty fast.
    http://irealbook.net/editor/
    The editor in the iPhone, Touch, Pad also works well.

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I...song lyrics (with chords) in Word files and I'd like to put them in my iPad with the same format that the Real Book uses. It is brilliant. Any ideas how to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post
    ...I know of no easy way to translate chords over lyrics in a .doc file to chords within measures as an IRB file.
    )BOB
    The only way to add (whatever) words in iReal book is in Text, but you would have to copy/paste each individual line of words (Bob is right, no easy way...) presumably starting at the first bar of each system and use spacebars between each word to line them up with the bars/chords across that system.
    (But remember please do not submit lyric content with any iReal book files to our forum because of copyright.)

However you could play around with creating PDF files from Word. Make a custom paper size proportional to the ipad dimensions, lay out your information to near the edges (perhaps), composite all the PDF pages into a single PDF (if not already) and email to yourself on your iPad. Open it in your email and save to iBooks.
    It is possible to use Acrobat Pro (or similar) to create a titled bookmark for each song so iBooks can show you a table of contents of all the songs, where you tap on the song name and it appears.

Hmm. Didn't know the 2 out of 3 rule with copyrights. I'm a singing guitar player so my charts serve the lyrics and therefore would be a problem to post. The whole PDF approach is interesting and I'll look into it.
    In the meantime I've use GoodReader to download the Word docs to the iPad and it's working pretty well. Nowhere near as cool as the iReal Book app but c'est la vie.
    Thanks

I can see the legal problems, However...

this 'app' is much more than originally intended. i am starting a band and already I can use this in performance in some ways.

what seems the Next Step might be modular programs, client server is one style, where I can have MY OWN lyrics what I wrote myself in sync with the playback.

it is absurd that each band member needs two or more iPods. even one each, we need just a synch signal bar by bar somehow- then lyrics on another iPod follow the main playback, the sax has Bb chords but I have normal, and the set list needs to be linked too. with zero multitasking on iPod iPad etc... the cure would be time codes, like MIDI?

Default Melody and Lyrics...???

Ok so this app is pretty awesome however doesn't really do much for me if I don't know or remember the melody plus so many great lyrics to these standards would be the ultimate app for musicians especially young musicians with an app like this including lyrics, melody and possible interesting background info on song by flipping page like in iBooks etc, When will we be seeing this???LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Djames11 View Post
    ...however doesn't really do much for me if I don't know or remember the melody plus so many great lyrics to these standards ...
    Obviously there are copyright, legal issues if we include melody and lyrics and associated costs of maintaining this with all the different publishers and copyright holders.
    iReal book currently provides transposable chord charts with Player facility.
    You might find this thread interesting:
    http://forums.irealbook.net/showthread.php?t=1124

However we are aware of users needing melody/lyrics. We are continually evaluating iReal book's features and direction.

How about putting in an option where people can put the melody in themselves, then we can input and there shouldn't be any copyright issues there should there?

Quote Originally Posted by B3rNz View Post
    How about putting in an option where people can put the melody in themselves, then we can input and there shouldn't be any copyright issues there should there?
    I totally agree.....I understand there are copyright issues, however if the option to input your own melody and lyrics are set in the ireal book software settings.....I don't believe you are breaking any laws or copyrights. You are just giving the buyers more options and letting them be in control of the lyrics and melody input.

This would be a huge feature, especially when you are writing your original songs and want to input your melodies, chord changes and lyrics and carry them with you at gigs and in the studio.

Please add melody and lyric input as an option during the next update.

Thanks,
    Thanasi

Default yesyesyes

that would be fantastic