Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: import tunes into garageband

Default import tunes into garageband

Hi

I know this question has been asked in the past but I can not find a satisfactory solution in the present.

I recently purchased an iPhone 5s and immediately purchased and installed IReal Pro. How can I export Irealb tunes to Garageband so that I can use them as baking tracks? I would like to be able to do this without using iTunes or another computer. Is there a way to do this that only involves the iPhone?

Daniel

You can also use an app called AudioShare which acts as an intermediate app.
    Share the wav file
    Open in ... AudioShare
    Copy to General clipboard (two rectangles icon)
    Switch to GB
    Paste onto a track in GB

Currently you cannot Open in GB directly from iReal Pro, but using AudioShare it is very quick and easily done.

Does it help?

It looks like GarageBand on iPhone has a means for doing this by using the Inter-App Audio Apps which is listed as an instrument. However I have not been able to determine how this feature is used.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielJazz View Post
    It looks like GarageBand on iPhone has a means for doing this by using the Inter-App Audio Apps which is listed as an instrument. However I have not been able to determine how this feature is used.
    Yes it is possible to use either inter-app audio or AudioBus app.
    I can only check on iPad at the moment (presumably it is the same on iPhone). I can see the option of Inter-app audio within the Instrument choices, then choose iReal Pro in the Instruments tab. Set the + song section recording length to automatic; Tap the record button then switch to iReal Pro and tap Play.
    With AudioBus, choose iReal Pro as the Input and GB as output. You will see its play or record buttons within the connected apps.

Both record in real-time. Currently we find AudioBus better implemented (it is a separate app).
    However I find using AudioShare app an easy way to import the rendered audio track when using GB (and it is similar to how you would do it on computer, exporting from one app then importing the audio file to a DAW).

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Yes it is possible to use either inter-app audio or AudioBus app.
    I can only check on iPad at the moment (presumably it is the same on iPhone). I can see the option of Inter-app audio within the Instrument choices, then choose iReal Pro in the Instruments tab. Set the + song section recording length to automatic; Tap the record button then switch to iReal Pro and tap Play.
    Tried it but can't get it to work. I start Garageband then click ireal pro from the inter-app. I then start Garageband recording and switch to Ireal Pro and tap play. Nothing happens.

Yes inter-app can be a little unreliable sometimes I have found (hence the other methods).
    I did get it going in the end, I had to try a few times. Try changing what app is open first, for instance, Open GB then set up inter-app with iReal Pro. Or open iReal Pro, then open GB.
    I had to force quit either or both of them a few times before it would work. I found that if iReal Pro does not Play, I would have to force quit it. Once I had it Playing, it seemed to be ok once GB was in record.
    Let us know if you get it working (or not).

What model iPhone and OS are you using?

Hi dflat

I will try your suggestion this evening and report back. I am using a new iPhone 5s with iOS 8.1.2.

I had another look at this and found that launching iReal Pro first (making sure GB was not already open) then opening Garageband worked.
    I tested Play in iReal Pro when I first launched it, when GB switches to iReal Pro as it connects, and after pressing Record in GB. There is a little iReal Pro icon in GB you can tap to switch to it. Also as iReal Pro was playing I could tap for the red GB recording bar (at the top) and tap it to switch back to GB as it was recording.

I also turned off metronome and count-in within GB.
    I hope this is useful, Daniel. This should work with your iPhone. When you get to it, let me know if you get it working too.

For anyone else reading this in the future, Apple may change their implementation of how this all works. For now, it seems to work as described.

Default ipad ireal to garageband

what's the best way to transfer a song on ipad from ireal to garageband?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 02-27-2020 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by ldecola View Post
    what's the best way to transfer a song on ipad from ireal to garageband?
    The audio file? Choose .wav, then after it has been rendered, Copy then paste it into an audio track in GB (iOS13).