Thread: Midi

Default Midi

is there any chance of being able to load in user midi files and have them play to an external module via the Apple camera USB kit?

I have an edirol UM 1 interface which does work with the Line 6 Midi Mobiliser, but I think the Apple way would be easier as the midi API is already in iOS 4.2

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by miden View Post
    is there any chance of being able to load in user midi files and have them play to an external module via the Apple camera USB kit?
    Hi Dennis,
    If you have a midi file, then it will be constructing the chords and backing, then if you have an external sound module, it will be playing the sounds. So the player in iReal book will not be needed. (Currently there is no way to import a midi file into iRealbook v3.0.4.)
    In this case then, you will just need a midi player app. As midi is new to iOS4.2, perhaps developers may be working on something like this that works with the camera/USB connection.

From what you described, your Line 6 midi mobilizer would already do what you need? it acts as a midi recorder and playback sequencer.

Some midi apps have built-in sounds, so you could use those if you do not actually need your midi sound module.

Perhaps you could clarify your question if I have not helped. Thanks.
    Last edited by dflat; 12-22-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: created a better answer

Thanks.

The issue with the Line 6 Mobiliser app is it has no way of importing a bulk list of midi files.

The ONLY way to get your library of midis onto the iPad is by playing each and every one individually.

Yes, it can be done, but what a waste of time!!!!

You see, how I work, is I have many hundreds of song charts. On my keyboard (Korg PA2XPro) I have a "setup" for every one of those songs. It has the capability of being able to select any of these "setups" via MIDI control commands that can be embedded in a midi file.

So, this means, if I can "link" a MIDI file to a chart, when I select the chart from, say, iRealbook, I can also get it to send the MIDI file which also then instantly selects the song setup on the Korg. No having to scan through a large library of setups.

When playing live, this is a great system. I had it working using my Windows Dell XT2 Laptop, but it was too big, and the screen res is no-where near as good as the iPad.

Plus the iPad is so much more FUN!!!!

I hope that explains it a bit further.

Thanks

Dennis

Further,

I bought the Line 6 device, in the (now) mistaken view, that I could hook up it up to MIDI on the keyboard, and the apps available for iPad would automatically see it as a hardware device and transmit from it.

How wrong I was!!!!!

There are very limited apps that actually work with the Line 6 device, and no sheet music apps that even work with midi files sending to an external device/sound module...

This is why I thought iRealBook would be a solution. But alas, no!!!

It is still a neat app, don't get me wrong. And great for mucking around with at home. But, and this is with all due respect, it is not a serious on-stage "working" app. Well at least, not for me

That is not meant to downgrade your work, just my use for the app.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for this information on how you work. It is useful for us to know what is wanted by our users. Although there are no plans for anything like this at the moment, we now have your ideas here to refer to. (I now understand what you mean, sending sys ex or patch configs out.)
    Also we should remember that iOS/30 pin connector/midi is quite new and what might become a hardware 'standard' (essential) has not had time to develop a following yet.

Currently we are not working on an iReal book update and there are quite a few other features we need to consider, but we will keep this in mind for the future.
    Please let us know if you have any other ideas, or if you have any success with this problem, post a reply.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for this information on how you work. It is useful for us to know what is wanted by our users. Although there are no plans for anything like this at the moment, we now have your ideas here to refer to. (I now understand what you mean, sending sys ex or patch configs out.)
    Also we should remember that iOS/30 pin connector/midi is quite new and what might become a hardware 'standard' (essential) has not had time to develop a following yet.

Currently we are not working on an iReal book update and there are quite a few other features we need to consider, but we will keep this in mind for the future.
    Please let us know if you have any other ideas, or if you have any success with this problem, post a reply.
    Thanks again.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, and I am glad you think this is a valid "wish-list" request for iReal Book

The only other thing, in my view, that would improve iRealbook would be the capability to load and read PDF charts. I have handwritten charts for example, that I have scanned, and if iRealbook could do what it does now, AND be able to import user PDF's...that would lift it to the "awesome" category for me

Certainly, if I find further info or tips on this I will happily post them.

All the best to you for Christmas..

Dennis