Thread: Amp for iReal Player for Coffehouse ?

Default Amp for iReal Player for Coffehouse ?

Anyone have suggestions for a small amp system for iReal Player that I could use in coffeehouse or small backyard/residential gigs? I want something not too big but good full range to adequately handle the Player's bass through high hat range. I'm playing piano with it.

Quote Originally Posted by boscotom View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for a small amp system for iReal Player ....
    Hi Tom,
    No one has answered you yet.

I think a keyboard amp would be best, maybe with a 12 inch (at least) speaker to cover the bass freq. It would be designed to handle a wider frequency range than a guitar amp (for instance.) There are a huge number of brands, but Roland put out a good range if I had to name a brand. That might be a good place to start to compare.
    I would definitely listen before you buy, fiddling around with the EQ etc.
    Also you might consider a battery powered (electric optional) one...sometimes it is useful if you do not have power, but if you always play a keyboard rather than acoustic piano, then you would always have to have power anyway.
    And if it has an output for further amplification, PA or mixer connections, this would be useful as you could use it as a foldback so you hear the player clearly.
    Most have headphone out for practicing, which is good.
    You will probably end up using it for other (unforseen) uses, so if you can think ahead a little, you could get something that is more versatile, with the features it has on it (for example a mic input... Or in the unlikely event of your keyboard amp not working for some reason (assuming you play keyboards) then it might just get you through to the end of a gig.)

I actually used an old Roland jazz-chorus 120 guitar amp last time out. It is adequate and so our minds are in the same place, dFlat, w a "small Roland". I need to do some research though. I'd like a little more frequency range for both the bass and drums. I was a little lazy when posting this, hoping someone could give me a quick tried and true amp setup.

Thank you for your thoughts as always, dFlat.

...I'd like a little more frequency range for both the bass and drums...
    Well maybe a 15 inch speaker and tweeter. That should give you the freq. range, and a keyboard amp rather than guitar as it is the electronics that need to handle the freq. range as well.
    (Depends on how much you want to pay, the Bose L2 with B1?)
    Hope you find something that you like.

Anyone have suggestions for a small amp system for iReal Player that I could use in coffeehouse or small backyard/residential gigs? I want something not too big but good full range to adequately handle the Player's bass through high hat range. I'm playing piano with it.
    Hi there. This is my first post, as I am relatively new to irb. The following configuration should serve you well playing at smaller venues - non-concert situations etc.
    I connect my itouch with a wireless FM transmitter. This one costs less than $10.(iWorld) It transmits to any sterio system with a connect (FM) receiver. It transmits on 88.1 to 88.9 which are usually empyt except in major urban areas. I think this is the best way to us irb on live gigs.
    Regards
    Flowerfox

Default reverb

also I would only use a little reverb, either in iReal book Player settings and on the amp. Otherwise it would muddy up the sound. The small amps, the reverb can should bad anyway, but perhaps a little is ok. (Just my thoughts on it.)

I always use an AER Compact 60.

Quote Originally Posted by admortembibendum View Post
    I always use an AER Compact 60.
    Yes they have nice amps. They also put out the Compact Classic Pro (classical players, EQ with bass parametric) and the new Electric "Cheeky D" which I must try out sometime. But the bass ones are yummy I think (probably not so good for iReal book player, I am off topic now...)