Thread: Found a way to Playback bass notes only ...

Default Found a way to Playback bass notes only ...

I recently stumbled on a workaround way to Playback bass notes only, without having to precede the W/C notes by an N.C. It's a bit unsightly on the chart (but no more so than an unwanted N.C.) and an Error Message appears during countdown that you remove my tapping "OK" once, but it works.

EDIT: I've now reposted it as improved by Dalemac's refinement, substituting a period for the W.

2ND EDIT: I've now reposted it using a "W./" for each first bass note following a chord:

Bass Notes Only - JHC
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 02-12-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Neat tip.
    That could be useful.
    Playing music is all about adding tools to your toolbox, then figuring out when (and when not) to use them.
    )BOB

Ah, I thought by "bass notes only" you meant "no drums"... oh well. By the way, this trick of yours will work just as well if you type a period instead of W, and won't be as "unsightly".
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Thanks, DaleMac! I was hoping someone could refine it.

I'm really hoping the programmers will see the utility of allowing the selecting of /bassnotes from /B0 to /E3. That'd be great.

Just tried "W./C" and found that it works as well as "C./C" or "CW/C" and it is completely non-unsightly. Looks like "W/C" an ordinary invisible chord, and plays the bass note only. (You still have to begin with an initial N.C. and you still have to tap away the initial "ERROR" message.)

Also, if you want a series of bass notes, you need only put the period in the first one after a chord and not the following bass notes, until there's another chord.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 02-14-2015 at 11:28 AM.

This is posted in the iOS forum. I suspect you may be using this trick on a Mac using the full keyboard (that includes the period).

To accomplish this trick using the iOS editor, here's a workaround:
    In the editor, select the text feature (abc), enter a period (.), long press in the text window--select all, cut.
    Then "Done". Now you can use "paste" to enter the period in the chord-field. (until you "copy" something else)
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-09-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Yup. That's the way I do it on an iOS, too. Never tried it on the Mac yet; must be even easier, as you say.

Used to work the other way around, too, i.e., you could transfer characters from Chords to Text. Sorry to say, though, that some characters that used to be transferrable this way from Chords to Text, cannot be any more. Most notably, the flat and sharp signs.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Bluespclsts View Post

Please explain to me again how to play single bass notes without the chord. Read your previous post on the subject and did not understand it.
    Review this thread and (if needed) re-post your question here.
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 12-10-2017 at 02:42 PM.