Thread: Chord suggestions based on melody line

Default Chord suggestion quality

hi all

I'm new to ireal pro and have a very basic knowledge when it comes to jazz piano , I know some chord voicing and some II-V-Is and that's it !

I understood that ireal pro gave chord suggestions when editing or composing, presumably based on some kind of algorithm.

I am editing a song and hit what I understand to be the menu for adding chords I can literally choose any possible chord / voicing rather than from a filtered list. Have I missed something ?

Thanks in advance !!

Default Chord suggestions based on melody line

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether it's possible in ireal pro to get chord suggestions based on the melody line of a song?

For example I have an acapella which I can transpose by ear, however my knowledge of jazz isn't good enough to figure out all the chords or possible alternative chords / substitutions that may work.

Any advice is much appreciated !!

Jeremy

Jeremy: Your post suggests that you don't understand how iReal Pro works.

You, the user, have a song or melody in mind. You, the user, produce a "chord chart," consisting of a series of chords that accompany the melody (it also contains the time signature, repeats, and other things). The iReal Pro app then generates an accompaiment audio track which can run while you play the melody. This simulates a whole band consisting of a melody instrument that you play (or sing) and a rhythm section of bass, drums and a chord instrument (eg. piano, organ, guitar, etc). In most cases, chord charts for particular songs are already available on the iReal Pro web site; there are charts for thousands of songs that anyone can download. However, a user can produce a chord chart by himself for any song or sequence of chords.

The iReal Pro app doesn't deal with melody at all; it deals with harmony and rhythm. Each of the different styles that can be selected when the accompaniment is generated will produce different bass lines, drum patterns and chord instrument patterns idiomatic to that style. For example, the accompaniment track generated using one of the Swing styles will be very different from the accompaniment generated by one of the Latin styles. The chords will be the same, but the way the chords will be played will be entirely different.

There is no way to input a melody into the software.

The bottom line here is that iReal Pro is accompaniment software, useful for instrumentalists and singers during practice or performance. It does not produce a chord chart nor suggest the proper sequence of chords that are appropriate for a particular melody. That comes from the user.

I suggest that you go to http://irealpro.com/ and watch the series of tutorial videos to get a better idea of what the software can do for you. Once you do, I think you will discover how valuable this wonderful app can be to your musical activities.
    Last edited by Keith88; 01-05-2015 at 02:28 PM.

The iRp app's player algorithm provides "intuitive" accompaniment based in the chord changes written in the chart.
    The editor allows you to choose most any chord to place anywhere in a chart. (unfiltered)
    Musical "suggestions" are found throughout the Jazz 1300 charts. Many tunes share musical phrases beyond ii-V-I.
    eg. extended circle of fifths, various turnarounds, Autumn Leaves pattern, descending minor cliche etc. http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...=6050#post6050

There are exercises using various musical devices here:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...ractice-Charts
    Have fun!
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmwellington View Post
    I understood that ireal pro gave chord suggestions when editing or composing, presumably based on some kind of algorithm.
    iReal Pro gives voicings (the arrangement of the notes based on the chord specified) as it plays through the song (you can view the Piano chord library to see them). In song view, tap the diagrams button (bottom right) for options.
    This might have been mistaken as giving chord suggestions for composing.