Thread: Search Songs not working anymore

Default Search Songs not working anymore

I used to be able to search for songs from within the "Songs" section, but it is no longer working. When I click on the magnifying glass icon, nothing happens (the rest of the buttons, like "#" and the letters work fine). What am I doing wrong?

Running iReal Pro 6.0.1 on an iPad 3, running iOS 8.1.2

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks for asking. That sounds like this:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...bar-disappears

Have you tried a re-start (not sleep, but rather a true power-off, power-on cycle)?
    )BOB

This has happened to me a number of times. There are three things that you can do to fix the problem:
    1. Close the app (actually, close all of your open apps). Double push the home button and you will see each open app in a small rectangle. Do an up sweep on each open app to close it. Then open iRP. This should fix the problem. If it doesn't:
    2. Restart the iPad. If this doesn't work:
    3. Reset the iPad.

For the difference between a restart and a reset, see: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559. Problems often occur when too many apps are open at the same time. It's probably a good idea to restart (not reset) your iPad every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by wjdoyle View Post
    I used to be able to search for songs from within the "Songs" section, but it is no longer working. When I click on the magnifying glass icon, nothing happens (the rest of the buttons, like "#" and the letters work fine). What am I doing wrong?
    Running iReal Pro 6.0.1 on an iPad 3, running iOS 8.1.2
    Hello Bill, could you describe the problem in a little more detail please?
    I am confused with you saying the letters work fine but the search field is no longer working. Do you mean you cannot see the Search field? Can you tap in there and the keyboard appears from the bottom? then do you mean nothing enters into the search field except the # keyboard characters?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith88 View Post
    This has happened to me a number of times.
    Thanks Keith88 for your reply. Could I ask you too what the exact problem is? It might be the same or related (or unrelated!) to what Bill is describing. We want to follow this up if we can. Thanks.

I haven't had the missing search field problem for some time. Back when I first got my iPad, in iOS 6 days, I knew little about how best to use the iPad. I remember that after having iReal b, as it was called in those days, open for a long time, the search field for songs would disappear without warning. At some point, I learned about closing apps that were misbehaving. Closing iReal b solved the problem and restored the missing search field. Nowadays, I regularly close all of my apps before going to bed at night, and do an occasional restart if my iPad seems to misbehave. This kind of regular maintenance sees to prevent problems that seem to occur when too many apps are open. My wife, who enjoys watching videos and TV programs on her iPad often has problems when too many of these apps are open and sometimes the only way to fix her iPad is to do a restart.

From what I have read (and don't take me as an authority), doing a restart is a fairly harmless procedure. Doing a reset is a more serious action and should only be performed if doing a restart does not fix a problem. In the iPad User Guide for iOS 8.1 from Apple: "If something isn't working right, try restarting iPad, forcing an app to quit, or resetting iPad."

That's about all I can tell you about the missing search field problem.

Thanks everyone– re-starting the app did the trick. To be clear, what was missing was the light blue search bar at the top of the song list. For example, if I hit the "T" on the right it would go to the songs beginning in "T" as it should. When I hit the magnifying glass icon, however, nothing would happen– no search box, no pop-up keyboard. I have a few thousand songs in my list and was on a gig looking for "Paper Moon" I started with "S" for "Say It's Only..." and then went to "P" for Paper; I never made it to "It's" and had to grab a hard copy half way through the chart. Now I know.

Thanks for the follow-up report. Happy endings are always good.
    I'm sure admin would appreciate hearing specific details about the circumstances if it should happen again,
    )BOB

Quote Originally Posted by wjdoyle View Post
    Thanks everyone– re-starting the app did the trick. To be clear, what was missing was the light blue search bar at the top of the song list. For example, if I hit the "T" on the right it would go to the songs beginning in "T" as it should. When I hit the magnifying glass icon, however, nothing would happen– no search box, no pop-up keyboard. I have a few thousand songs in my list and was on a gig looking for "Paper Moon" I started with "S" for "Say It's Only..." and then went to "P" for Paper; I never made it to "It's" and had to grab a hard copy half way through the chart. Now I know.
    Have you tried to tap on the status bar? It should quickly scroll up to the top and reveal the search field.