Thread: How to enter chords as a Bb trumpet player

Default How to enter chords as a Bb trumpet player

I've read multiple posts in this forum on transposition, but I still find the way the app behaves confusing so maybe I am not getting it.

I understand what the global transposition setting is for: I set it to Bb because I play a trumpet in that key. The app will then play the songs in the original concert key, but display the transposed chords in the same way the chords are written down for me in the sheet music I am using when I play in my jazz big band. They are already transposed. This is indicated by a note in the player windows that says "Bb-Part". So far, so good.

When I enter a new song, the app still displays "Bb-Part" in the editor, but it obviously expects me to enter the chords in concert key, because it changes the display when I save and exit the edit mode.

Example:
    1. Create new song.
    2. Global transposition settings are remembered from last playback and displayed in the editor ("Bb-Part").
    3. Enter chord: Bb
    4. Save and exit.
    5. The app displays the chord C.

Would it not make more sense to allow me to enter the transposed keys? If my sheet music contains chords changes, it will have the transposed ones and I want to be able to enter them without having to change the global transposition settings all the time when I switch from playback to edit mode. I could obviously ask the bandleader or someone in the rhythm section for the chords in concert key, but that's too complicated.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better strategy for entering new material when you play a Bb instrument?

Thanks!
    Heddy

Try this:
    Go ahead and enter the chart in the editor using your (transposed) chords with the chart's key set to "your" (transposed) key.
    Before saving, reset the chart's key using SET AND TRANSPOSE to the concert-key.
    )BOB

Longer more detailed instructions are here:
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...Bb-instruments
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 04-18-2017 at 07:18 PM.