Thread: The #9b13 chord

Default The #9b13 chord

This chord is very common in jazz, but it is not in the library of chords. If I enter it manually, I get an "unrecognised chord" notification. Could you add it please? The Bb voicing would be Ab D Gb Db (b7,-3,b13,#9). thanks !

You can use #9#5
    Same voicing.

Quote Originally Posted by massimobio View Post
    You can use #9#5
    Same voicing.
    Why not allow 7#9b13?

It is not wrong. Not sure I understand the current design choice to force users to use #5.

Same for 9b13. In the latter case I would argue not only is it personal preference, but #5 is wrong. Because a chord can not have the same note twice and as there is a 5 in a 7th chord and using mixolydic with b13 9#5 would be a false description for that scale / chord. There would be a fifth in the scale and the #5 falsely suggested by the chord symbol.

Default #9b13

I searched this and I’m sure it’s been brought up ..It seems like The search should be #9b13
    So what’s the workaround?
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 11-09-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Moved to existing discussion thread
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Thanks
    Seems like since the standard voicing is (top down)
    b13
    b7
    Most likely skip the 5
    3rd
    Root

So since the flat 13 is above the sharp nine seems that that’s what you’d wanna call it…
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc