Thread: How can I tell when to sing first note?

Default How can I tell when to sing first note?

I'm new to iReal Pro iOS. I'm a singer. How do I know when to sing the first note of the song. Some charts have an instrumental solo, and I can't tell in which measure I should start singing the melody.

The vocal melody often (but not always) begins at, or sometimes just before (that's called pick-up notes), the first section labeled with an "A".
    In practice, just listen until you get yourself "found", then start singing... As the song repeats, you'll get your starting place figured out.

Here's some advice for singers new to jazz:

WANT TO SING JAZZ STANDARDS ?.

Here's how to get started:

Step 1:
    YouTube. Search Ella, Frank, Nat, Tony, Louis etc. listen and find a tune or two you like. Something that strikes you, "I could do that...."
    In the beginning, keep it simple and familiar. Great tunes are still great tunes no matter who does 'em. That's why they're "standards".

Step 2:
    Google: "[song title] lyrics" ..... Highlight, copy, print

Step 3:
    Back to YouTube, Sing along. don't worry about it not being in "your key".
    Your only goal is to get the melody in your head. (and accidentally learn the words)
    You aren't trying to memorize or copy whatever version of the song is playing.
    At this stage, it's better to listen to performers of the opposite gender, that way, you'll be less likely to copy them. In performance, you have to be yourself.

Step 4: **!!!!!!!!!!**
    Get the iReal Pro app for your phone. (and/or tablet)
    info here: http://irealpro.com
    Videos here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/irealproapp/posts/Choose the correct app for your device.
    -- android (Google Play Store)
    -- iOS (Apple App Store)
    -- Mac (Mac App Store)
    Buy the app(s) at the appropriate app store:
    Google Play-store, Apple app-store or the Mac app-store.

To get the charts, go to the "Forums", http://irealb.com/forums
    (there's an access button in the app too)
    instantly download the JAZZ 1400 playlist.
    Yup, chord charts for 1400 jazz standards. (and that's just to start with, there are tons more chord charts and playlists, All FREE)
    Then select the chart for a song, ........press PLAY!!!
    There's a built-in back-up jazz combo! It can play in most any style (ballad, Latin. Swing. Pop, country, even Bluegrass....) adjust the tempo. Instantly TRANSPOSE to any key. Change the instruments.
    Experiment !!!!!

Try ALL the styles, you will want to experiment with them.
    Even if you'd never perform using certain styles, they can add musical ideas to your toolkit. They also help prepare you for times when your live-band doesn't sound how you expect.

Figure out which key, what style and how fast the song works for YOU. (sing your brains out in private) the band sounds GREAT through decent speakers or headphones.
    Then, add the tune to your "playlist", pick another song ...... rinse, lather repeat.

A word about key selection:
    Unless your song absolutely, positively must be in a less common key in order for your voice to be comfortable, (eg. B, C#/Db, F#/Gb...) your musicians will usually be happier if you can use a more common key that's just a half-step lower or higher. Happy musicians play better.
    Consult with players, they'll be delighted to advise you.

Finally, PRINT 5 copies of each of your charts.
    Slip them into a single page protector sleeve.
    (you are building your performance "book")
    When you can sing your tunes without needing to read the lyrics, you are ready to sing "out".

Step 5:
    Dress nice, part of being a performer, is looking like one.
    Get yourself invited to "sit-in" and sing a few tunes with a working (or student) combo. (Just ask)
    Pass out copies of your chart.
    Tell them the key and style you want.
    Say (for example): "let's do it as an easy bossa," "take the last 8 as an intro”.
    Then, count 'em in at the tempo you'd like. 1... 2...1234
    You are leading, not following. They'll play your "intro", you'll feel the key, tempo, and know when to start singing. Sing to the audience, not the band. HAVE FUN. (It comes through in the music) the band will
    (um, should) adjust to you. Own the stage.

Sing the song all the way through the form.
    (many jazz songs use an ”AABA" form. ie. 2 verses, the "bridge", and the final chorus) then STEP OUT OF THE WAY as you indicate for a player to "take it". Now, it's ok to turn your back to the audience. Enjoy the band, dance a little. When (you think) the band has taken enough solos, point to your head with one finger (that tells the band to play the "head" out), let them play the A-section twice, then you step up to the mic, sing the bridge and the final verse. Done. Smile.
    (Wasn't that fun?!)

Don't be a wannabe. Be a singer, own the stage (did I mention that already?).
    Collect your charts, thank the band.
    Have business cards and exchange contact info with players you like.

Step 6:
    Plan a party, use iReal pro as your band, perform.
    ”stage-time" is where you find it. (and very important)
    Next time, hire a combo. (or accompanist)
    Book a "House Concert", hire a combo.
    Get a one-off gig at a local cafe.... hire a combo.
    Maybe they'll hire you sometime....

Ok, you're singing, even performing and giving it everything you have...

Step 7:
    Find a mentor. A mentor can help you find, develop and use more tools you don't even know you have.

Go get discovered, get a record deal, win a Grammy...
    Most important -- HAVE FUN !

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Great job with that, Bob. Makes me wish I were a singer. That should be a sticky.

Jack

Thank You, Bob! I appreciate your very informative reply. I'll try your suggestions regarding finding where the Vocal starts.

For charts that don't have an intro, you can trigger a chart to start playing at the measure you choose.
    Touch/hold the measure until the play button ▶️ appears. Since starting at the last 4 or 8 will use up one player repeat, you may want to increase player repeats by 1.

https://technimo.helpshift.com/a/ire...=playback&l=en

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-06-2019 at 10:38 PM.