Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chart Accuracy

Default Chart Accuracy

I purchased this app thinking pros would be submitting the chord charts... I'm a working musician with multiple acts and sometimes don't receive the song list until just before the gig. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that the chords on some of the rock/ pop music are in no way correct. Is there somebody policing this , or did I just buy a fancy version of "chordie"????

-PT

Hi Phil,
    iRp was first developed with a focus on jazz. The perfect, pocket-sized, instantly-transposing fakebook. At first, 900 jazz-standard chord charts, then 1200...now 1300 (with more submissions daily). A player-feature was added to facilitate practice. It has become so advanced that some find the player useful in the performance setting. The chord changes in most of the jazz charts are the commonly played fakebook changes (and as you know, not all the fake/real books agree). There are many different recorded versions of songs and much discussion about what's "correct". If chord choices were limited to being either right or wrong, there'd be no jazz

iRp was never intended as a straight-from-the-source "cover-band" book. All the charts are posted by forum members, iRp users. Depending on the ears, skills and resource materials of contributor, the charts vary from "vanilla" to "as originally performed" to, I agree, sometimes, just plain "wrong". We're all here to help each other. Members often submit charts with different (what they believe are "better") chords.

The forums have grown beyond jazz and now include many submissions in pop, rock, Latin, worship, world, film, country, bluegrass, etc.
    It requires everyone's cooperation to keep the forums uncluttered, organized and useful to musicians at all levels.

The iRp app is a great tool (perhaps the most important advance in music education in my lifetime, but that's just my opinion) and the forums are a great resource with thousands of free chord charts available. Since no single musician can know ALL of the tunes, the more each of us share what we have, the more all of us will benefit.

>is someone policing this?...
    Volunteers are always welcome. (and we're all volunteers here)

I'll look forward to your submissions,
    )BOB

More discussion
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...Changes-Chords
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Most of the main playlists (in the first post of that thread) were checked when they were compiled into one—from memory these:
    Pop 400
    Jazz 1300
    Gypsy Jazz
    Latin 50
    Brazilian 150
    Blues 50
    Holiday 100

but as there are different versions they originate from (which band, album etc.) you would still have to check before playing live
    Sorry about the charts not being correct for your gig.

There's indeed need for volunteers to take the material and make checked up playlists. Use Google searches to find IReal material as a starting point as this forum is well indexed.

Quote Originally Posted by Philtone50 View Post
    I purchased this app thinking pros would be submitting the chord charts... I'm a working musician with multiple acts and sometimes don't receive the song list until just before the gig. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that the chords on some of the rock/ pop music are in no way correct. Is there somebody policing this , or did I just buy a fancy version of "chordie"????

-PT
    Hi PT,
    The Pop songs were checked against the original songs (not the current pop stars' versions) so make sure that you compare it to the original.
    If you see any issues, please let us know. Thank you!

A suggestion...one I'd make as a moderated necessity...would be to note THE ACTUAL REFERENCE TRACK (Artist/Era/Album/Live or Studio) used in the transcription. It should noted in the title of the iRp transcription.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandertmadsen View Post
    A suggestion...one I'd make as a moderated necessity...would be to note THE ACTUAL REFERENCE TRACK (Artist/Era/Album/Live or Studio) used in the transcription. It should noted in the title of the iRp transcription.
    That request is often posted.

Members (like you) are encouraged to request additional info about submitted charts whenever you want.
    The forums' culture is best shaped by its users. Peer-to-peer requests and suggestions are most effective.

>>Volunteers are always welcome. (and we're all volunteers here)

CAN YOU HELP?
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...1-Can-YOU-Help

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 01-06-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandertmadsen View Post
    I agree. We try to put in as much information as possible in the charts but if we would list all those references that you mentioned, I think it would ruin the simplicity of the chart.
    Maybe it could be in the info part of the chart, not shown in the chart. We will try to improve it in the future. Thank you for your feedback!

You've got to do your homework and check the charts. Play along with the recording or YouTube clip. Make edits if you hear something wrong. It's not fair to complain about a free chart being wrong. This is a great program but it won't do everything for you. I look for charts on tunes I don't know for upcoming gigs but sometimes I have to edit them. It still saves me some time and it's cheaper than buying the sheet music. Something to keep in mind. When I learn a tune and write an irealbook chart I share it on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I agree. We try to put in as much information as possible in the charts but if we would list all those references that you mentioned, I think it would be ruin the simplicity of the chart.
    Maybe it could be in the info part of the chart, not shown in the chart. We will try to improve it in the future. Thank you for your feedback!
    That would be wonderful!
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...2058#post22058
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 10-21-2014 at 05:46 PM.