Thread: WP files to iReal Book Format

Default WP files to iReal Book Format

I love having iRB on my Touch, but I've got progressions for several hundred songs on my word processor (Appleworks) and the idea of re-entering them tune-by-tune in the editor just staggers me. I've tried altering a WP progression to imitate iRB code by, e.g. replacing spaces with "%20", inserting bar line codes, etc. etc., but neither pasting it into the Web Editor Import box as a text file nor insinuating it into an existing iRB e-mail link seem to work. I may be overlooking something, but are either of these techniques even possible?

If anyone has successfully done this sort translation, I'd like to hear the details!

If your Mac has either OS10.5 or OS10.6, you can use our Mac editor to input your tunes. You can become quite fast at it, especially using the key commands (I have had to do this for several hundred.)
    Available here:
    http://irealbook.net/page9/page9.html

Doing this you can visually layout the chords depending on the number of bars in each section, placement of 1st and 2nd time bars, Coda (perhaps using vertical spacers), rehearsal letters, small chord symbols at various beats, etc.

Yes, I have 10.5 and the Mac Editor, which creates a far more sophisticated display of the progression than any WP could. I was just hoping to find a way of batch-processing my crude WP versions into iRB-ready form, so that they could then be imported individually into iRB and polished up.

Suppose I'm looking at a 4-bar progression spelled out as a line in Appleworks: Am9 Bb C# Dmaj7. Obviously, this would be quick and easy to enter using the editor. But is there absolutely no way I could enhance this line, and add appropriate headers etc, that would allow me to import it into an editor (e.g. the web editor) for further refinement?

Default It Can Be Done

I finally succeeded in doing this. I had been on the right track, just not careful enough. For one or a few tunes, it's definitely not worth the trouble, but I did 130 in one fell batch.

I'd be happy to go into greater detail if anyone wants to try it, but the first and most critical step is to make sure your word-processor list is absolutely uniform-- i.e. if a comma means end-of-stanza in one song, it must mean the same in every song, and it can't mean anything else anywhere. And each song must be the bare-bones core progression; you can add the subtle details when you get it into the editor.

Hi 5on4,
    Because you are wanting to work with the song code itself, it is not appropriate for me to help you any further on this, sorry.
    Glad you got it worked out!

So, are you gonna share your tunes with the rest of us here at the Forum after they're polished up?
    )BOB
    Last edited by nightjazz; 11-26-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Dflat, thanks for all you're doing already on the forum. Hopefully I'll have no further need for code help anyway; now that I've got my basic structures into the editor, I'd much rather use it to refine them with intros, multiple endings, da capos and the like, since besides being so sophisticated it's much more fun to work with.

Yeah, Bob, I hope to have some ready for presentation before too long. My first batch was all fiddle tunes, but I'll have several dozen jazz numbers to post also, before too long.

No worries. There's room for all.

There's already a thread with OTF tunes:

http://irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475

)BOB

Quote Originally Posted by 5on4 View Post
    I'd be happy to go into greater detail if anyone wants to try it, but the first and most critical step is to make sure your word-processor list is absolutely uniform-- i.e. if a comma means end-of-stanza in one song, it must mean the same in every song, and it can't mean anything else anywhere.
    It would be great if you attached a legend of sorts to teach others how to convert songs also, or to help really fast coders... ;-)

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up.
    alton