Thread: What Now My Love (Et Maintenant) - Gilbert Becaud

Default What Now My Love (Et Maintenant) - Gilbert Becaud

"What Now My Love" is a popular ballad of the 1960s and 1970s by French composer Gilbert Bécaud (originally "Et Maintenant" = "What Now"). He recorded it with a tat rat-tat-tat tat rhythm reminiscent of Ravel's "Bolero." Shirley Bassey had a hit in 1967 with a similar presentation. There are many performances on YouTube, including eminently forgettable ones by Sonny & Cher and Elvis, and others, similar to Bassey's, by Judy Garland and Patti Page. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass did an up tempo latin recording (sounds like a samba) and Petula Clark did a light rock performance which are both worth listening to. The lyrics are plaintive; the singer asking what will happen to him "now that it's over" with a message of great sadness. In contrast, Frank Sinatra does a ring-a-ding ironic performance in which he seems more relieved than sad at the end of things. Jack Jones's delivery is even more blatant, giving a dismissive wave as he says goodbye!

The tune itself is of some interest. It is a 32-bar form, but not the typical AABA or ABAC. Rather it is AAB (8, 8, 16 bars) with a modified A with tag after the last chorus. The B section has two chains around the cycle of fifths and is fun to improvise over.

I like doing this tune as a bounce, 130 bpm with either a Swing Two/Four or a Ballad Swing style. I prefer these to Medium Swing which has a heavier feel. The new Doo Doo Cats style also works. I'm a pianist and only use bass and drums so your approach may be different.

A lead sheet for the tune can be found in The Ultimate Fake Book published by Hal Leonard.

What Now My Love - Gilbert Becaud
    Last edited by Keith88; 09-30-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Default ET Maintenant -Version O.Kérourio

Et mainenantKEROURIO with End - gilbert bécaud
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-17-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Moved to existing song thread

Quote Originally Posted by angeloski View Post
    Helpful info
    https://www.irealb.com/forums/showth...-and-Playlists
    )BOB