Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exporting MIDI--especially drums

Quote Originally Posted by tyroneshuz View Post
    OK, how would I go about doing that?
    Well, it will take some time but with patience you should be able to achieve good results.

First you need a sampler in your DAW. Start with an empty sampler then start loading 1 shot samples of basic kit sounds like kick,snare and ride cymbal and map them to the same locations as the iReal Pro map.
    Now load an exported iReal Pro midi file into your DAW and play it back to see how the basic sounds work. It might be a good idea to run the same song in iReal Pro for comparison. If you find for example that the kick drum is too hard or too loud, adjust some parameters like level, velocity sensitivity, or a low pass filter to soften it. If the sound is obviously wrong it might be better to swap it for a different sample that is closer to the original. Try to focus on one sound at a time. The goal here is to try and match the timbre and response of a particular sound with the one in iReal pro. (You may find that some samples work well with a particular song even though they don't sound exactly like the iReal Pro ones. In this case if it works leave it but it might be worth testing it with other exported songs before making it permanent.) Continue like this with all the basic kit sounds until you are happy with the way they sound then move on to the toms and other cymbals. Once you are happy with those gather your percussion sounds and start mapping those as before. When you have set up all 41 sounds you should be in business! Try your new sound set out with as many different styles as possible and note any samples that stand out as sounding odd. You might need to work on these a little more.

I will try this myself when I get a chance. Let me know how you get on.
    Paul
    Last edited by pablo64; 10-01-2014 at 07:57 PM.