Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Moments - Oliver Nelson

Default Stolen Moments - Oliver Nelson

I modified the original version of this song and inserted the solo section. Enjoy.

Stolen Moments - Oliver Nelson

Default Stolen Moments (with solo) - Oliver Nelson

Stolen Moments - Oliver Nelson, from the Blues and the Abstract Truth album.
    A blues solo part as well as the intro and outro parts. The solo part is played as simple minor blues.

Stolen Moments (with minor blues solo) - Oliver Nelson

This is a really nice piece of work. I made a few changes on my copy which you should consider. Firstly, because I use Swing Two/Four style, I removed your section B, C, and D markings, and changed the marking solo section to B. In this way, the head is played in "two" and the solo in "four" to resemble the Oliver Nelson version. Secondly, I put a "4x" in the text field at the beginning of the solo so that I could take four choruses. Otherwise, I left your arrangement alone. Thanks for posting this, a great tune from a classic album.

BTW: what is the significance of "r - i - t" at the bottom of the chart?

ritardando (?)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
    ritardando (?)
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...0682#post20682
    )BOB

The spaces and dashes in r - i - t threw me off, as well as the fact that there is no provision for expression markings in the player. Oh well, I put cue notes in the text fields, so why not an expression marking by someone else.

Thank you. Section A and B with Swing Two/Four is really a great idea. So, I tried it. It works for the first time but the second A section didn't come back with Swing Two feel but still Four. I don't know why.
    Yes, I intended r-i-t as ritardando. I wanted to spread the mark to cover bigger part of the bar (but no effect on the player anyway).
    Oh, and I didn't know "4x" text takes effect at the beginning of a repeat section -- I thought it should be at the end but it works as well.

Default Working version with Swing Two/Four

Shin1ro: I remember when I edited your version that I had the same problem with the second A. I remember that I changed something to get it to work but I can't remember what I did! I tried again to figure out the fix but I can't. Below, I've posted my working version and I invite one of the developers or moderators to figure out my fix. I believe it has something to do with bar lines; the player seems to need correct barring to be able to differentiate sections. In any case, I'm glad you liked my suggestion about using Swing Two/Four.

Stolen Moments (with minor blues solo) - Oliver Nelson
    Last edited by Keith88; 09-29-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Hi Keith, thanks for the upload :-) Great, it works well! (it looks almost the same as mine...?)

The player feature doesn't alter the set tempo for rirtardondo/fermata etc. unlike a live ensemble there are no visual cues between players as to when and how much to keep together. I also suspect it's technically complicated to alter the "clock".

Player styles like swing/Latin and swing two/four are designed to alter only the first and the final repeat of the form.
    When the player is set to play the form 3 or more times, the middle repeats are played "straight".

You can trick the player into playing more repeats of the form with D.C., D.S. and repeat brackets.
    As you discovered, instructions for multiple repeats eg. 4x are followed by the player when placed anywhere inside the brackets.

The player needs to see a double-bar sign in order to know when marked sections are concluded.
    Have you noticed what effect a double-bar has on the drums?
    )BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 07-06-2015 at 04:28 PM.