Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Version 6.0 for iOS has been released

Default Version 6.0 for iOS has been released

I downloaded the new version a couple of hours ago. It includes a number of new features, including the ability to control the volume of count-in clicks (important when gigging), inclusion of all existing styles and chord diagrams (we get them for free) and twelve new Jazz Styles available as an in-App purchase.

So far, everything seems to work perfectly for me. I'm still using iOS verion 7.1.1 on an iPad Mini Retina Display. In addition, I'm a pianist and I have the chord instruments turned off on the mixer. My impressions of the few things I've tried are very positive. In the new Jazz Styles pack is the much desired (by me) Ballad Double Time Feel style, which does what it says--it doubles the time on the interior choruses with a very pleasant feel behind a solo. There is a very nice Doo Doo Cats style, which is a variation on the Swing Two/Four style. The difference is that the new style plays the entire first and last chorus in "two" and the interior choruses in "four" with a combination of drums and cymbals (the older style does only cymbals on the interior choruses, I think, and does two on Section A and four on Section B on the outer choruses). The percussion sound on the Ballad Swing style seems to be less prominent and more attractive. Obviously, there is a lot to explore so these are only initial impressions.

There are lots more variations in the chord instruments, but I can't comment on them because I don't use them

Thanks to the developers for this update that will increase the utility of iReal Pro, not to mention give us lots more fun.

So, I'm gonna have to buy a new iPod Touch, since my 4th Gen only updates to 6.1.6. That kinda sucks.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Yes me too! I've been happily using iReal Pro on my iPhone 3GS and now can't upgrade to the new version because it can only be installed on iOS 7 + devices. Very disappointed about that! Can those of us who can't afford to buy a new device at least download the existing style packs for free? I've already bought the jazz pack so it would be a nice gesture if I could at least get the other styles for free now. Even better would be if you could make the new version 6.1.6 compatible!

Nope, not asking for anything free. I like the great new styles and they are worth every penny, obviously a lot of work went into them. And I'd happily fork out the 5 bucks each for iOS and OSX - if I could use them on both. It's one thing to optimize an app for 7 and above; it's another thing for the latest version to be incompatible. (And, honestly, I put most of this on Apple. Obsolescence seems to be the cornerstone of their business plan.) Until I'm able to afford however many hundreds of dollars for a newer device, I'll just have to stay satisfied with iReal Pro 5.1.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleMac View Post
    Nope, not asking for anything free. I like the great new styles and they are worth every penny, obviously a lot of work went into them. And I'd happily fork out the 5 bucks each for iOS and OSX - if I could use them on both. It's one thing to optimize an app for 7 and above; it's another thing for the latest version to be incompatible. (And, honestly, I put most of this on Apple. Obsolescence seems to be the cornerstone of their business plan.) Until I'm able to afford however many hundreds of dollars for a newer device, I'll just have to stay satisfied with iReal Pro 5.1.
    not only Apple; we have had to drop support for older Android devices also. Lack of memory, speed of older OSs and processors make it difficult (perhaps impossible) to add many of the new features. Some of the bigger software companies with more resources can spend time supporting older devices but we are unable to do this, sorry. You might want to check out ebay.

@Dale Mac
    The existing style packs (not the new ones) are now included free in the latest version. I was simply asking if users who can't upgrade could at least 'purchase' the 'old' style packs for free now. That seems like a fair request to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo64 View Post
    @Dale Mac
    The existing style packs (not the new ones) are now included free in the latest version. I was simply asking if users who can't upgrade could at least 'purchase' the 'old' style packs for free now. That seems like a fair request to me.
    Yes, they are free for users who cannot upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by massimobio View Post
    Yes, they are free for users who cannot upgrade.
    Thanks Massimo, I'm sure a lot of users with older devices will be very happy about that.
    How do we get the styles for free? When I go to the store from within the app, all the styles, chord scales and guitar/piano chords are still advertised with a price tag...

Regards

My apologies, I hadn't updated the settings in the store correctly.
    Try now.

Yes that works perfectly now, thank you Massimo!
    I've 'purchased' everything for all my 'old' devices so now at least I have the best possible version of the app that I can have.
    I feel sorry that some of your users are being left behind now but understand your situation and of course we won't miss what we've never had!
    (I'm still curious to hear the new samples and styles though, maybe they will tempt me enough to go and buy a newer iPhone/iPod......we'll see!)