Thread: D# and G# vs Eb and ,Ab

Default D# and G# vs Eb and ,Ab

Some (perhaps more then half?) of guitar players prefer to see D# G# and C#
    I think most piano and horn players prefer Eb,Ab and Db because if you're used to reading anything in that key those keys have fewer accidentals.

I did an experiment using Ab Db Gb and Cb (I did both Cb and B)

When transposing to Eb for alto sax I ended up with F Bb D# and G# . The Gb and Cb did not help in giving me an Eb and Ab .

Interestingly when transposing the Cb and B were all corrected to be the same chord. Only in the original key of C did they show up as Cb and B (for alto I had to transpose to Eb)

Couldn't there be a way to (post transposition) have a function that you could allow you to favor flats or sharps ?

bobsax

Hi Bobsax,
    Thanks for posting your feature request.
    I recalled seeing a possible work-around that someone suggested to deal with enharmonic transpositions.
    When i located it, it turns out, it was YOUR suggestion!
    Here: (for those who may not have seen it)
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...8895#post18895
    Auto-transposition is complex.
    )BOB

Just ask these guys...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9355A2C0-5E07-4DD7-8A28-631F544EE98D.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	520
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 09-01-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Argh
    Thanks bob

Okay , so set key for Alto sax (Eb) in preferences.
    when in the key of C it switches to sharps at D#

in edit mode;
    I set the key to F (but did not set and transpose) I get an Eb but then G# is next
    I set the key to Bb (but did not set and transpose) I get an Eb and a Ab next is a C#
    I set the key to Eb (but did not set and transpose) I get an Eb then Ab then Db then F# which is what I want.

So.when playing the alto sax
    . If you like to change to sharps at C#, transpose to Bb (or two key changes towards flats) if in D ,go to C etc.
    If you like to change to sharps at F#, transpose to Eb (or three key changes towards flats) if in D ,go to F etc

Maybe someday we'll get a simpler way.

Hopefully I won't be back in a year or two having forgotten my own directions

bobsax

I play Bb trumpet. I don't know how this app is coded but isn't it possible just to disallow D# major 7 and replace it with Eb? I don't think it occurs in any key. I don't think that I've seen G# major7 not sure but if it does occur then perhaps it could be disallowed and default to Ab as well.

The sharp and flat problem is confusing because the 12 edo tuning system works in semitones and wholetone intervals. If you work in Large (L) and small (s) intervals as in meantone tuning, you realise that sharps are on the fifth side of the spiral direction, and flats are on the fourths. So transpose by steps of fourths and fifths instead of semitones.

Can we not just have a simple "switch over at" option? I.e sharps up to and including .. Enter F# or C# or whatever. As an improviser I never want D# or A# chord, and these occur for us horn players quite often especially if the song has been transposed already for the singer?
    Brilliant app by the way! Thanks