Thread: MIDI file transfer iPad to PC no longer avaiable

Default MIDI file transfer iPad to PC no longer avaiable

I used to be able to save the midi file to an app called GoodReader that would leave it visible in iTunes so I could copy the file to my PC and use it with my best CST instruments. But for some reason, since the latest update (theirs) the file is only visible from inside GoodReader and will not copy to the desktop.

I have asked their tech folks and received no reply, so I'm doing a couple of things here - I don't leave email enabled on my portables and I will not use cloud-style services, so sending an email with a midi file is clumsy, especially when I am likely to send 6 versions of the same chord set, to have more parts to pick from.

So request one: can you please consider the option to "Save To Disk" like audio files (only without the 4-minute wait...) I would love this for the actual song files as well, but less important.

And request Two, to the general public as well - does anyone know an app (preferably free) that will let me easily transfer a midi fle - accept a midi file from iOS and leave it visible in iTunes so it can be transferred?

Thanks for the help, this has gone from a great system to a PITA (not the app, just the process...) so any simple answer is great.
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 08-03-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Anyideas? My old iPod still uses an older version of iOS and it still works, but I don't want to have to compose in the ipod-sized window.

I don't happen know of a good free file transfer app. But I do use DiskAid (USB/wireless) for what you describe. I figure $30 wasn't much compared to the money spent for great sounding instrument libraries to play midi accompaniment files through (in stereo).

iReal Pro midi export really opens up a lot of possibilities. It's wonderful to now be able to change key and tempo on-the-fly while your playing a song!

Norman, thank you. I was unaware of this app, and it seems quite useful. But before I spend $30 for yet another app, I have to be clear that this will do what I need:

1: create the iReal Pro chord sheet..
    2: Save as MIDI to another app, as it will not save to iReal Pro. For reference, I use GoodReader
    3: Connect via USB.
    4: Run Disk-Aid and it will allow me to navigate to my midi file even though it is not visible in the iTunes->device->Apps-File Sharing window.

If that is correct, I'm in!

I don't use iTunes. I remember having tried out: iExplorer (I don't know if it even still works), the free GoodReader USB file transfer program (latest update), and a program named PhoneView. If you have some time you can check them out.

I like DiskAid because of WiFi capability (which you don't need) and because it works fine with Mac or Windows 8.1.

Here's a possible workflow: 1. On iPhone use 'Export as Midi' and 2. 'Open in GoodReader' 3. Connect a USB cable to your laptop (or use WiFi) 4. Open Apps/GoodReader (in DiskAid) then drag the Midi file to your desktop 5. Open it in your favorite sequencer (Logic Pro, Reaper, Bidule etc.) 6. Remap channel 10 for your specific Drum Kits and finally 7. Enjoy!

I have installed the free app and program. I can see GoodReader, but it will not show the midi files (that is the free version, and there is the pay-to-unlock which I will assume lets me see the GoodReader midi files?

Well, I just saw there is a 3-day money-back guarantee, and it sounds like it should work, so I'm going for it. Thanks again.

And final word for those following this thread breathlessly - worked perfectly... :-)
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 08-08-2014 at 04:29 AM.