Thread: some advice on how it works

Default some advice on how it works

hi someone recommended this app for use for my backing tracks how big is the song library ? I play ukulele and want to busk to popular songs and wondered if I would be able to get the tracks to use

or could I put in the chords and formulate the melody myself ?

I need to find out befor I rush out and purchase a ipod touch

thanks mark

Hello Mark,
    in the Beginner's thread:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...=7078#post7078
    are some links to the popular playlists downloaded, and you will see many more as well as individual songs if you run a Search (top right).
    For any songs you do not need, just delete them after import, or download individual songs as needed.
    And yes, for songs not found here, you can create your own (and perhaps upload them here for others to use).

There is no melody notation staff and little space for lyrics within the app currently, but I presume you sing or have singers when you play your Ukulele.
    If you want to view a PDF with lyrics, notation etc. while iReal Pro is playing the backing, check out this thread:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...g-using-Player

I hope this helps.

Using made-up abrev'tns and contr'x'tns I've been able to add usable lyrics to many complicated tunes using the Text feature. ("Begin the Beguine," "Cheek to Cheek," "C'est Si Bon," etc.) Of course, many tunes require no abbreviations at all. It's time consuming, but somewhat addictive, too. My playlist of songs with full lyrics keeps growing. Wish I could show you, but it's not allowed on this forum, although there are many websites that have full lyrics. I don't really understand how they get away with that.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 08-18-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Hi Jack.

There are apps out there that will scroll full (user-entered) lyrics and chords at a specified tempo.
    Look at OnSong, BandHelper, SetListMaker.
    Some can simultaneously play (user-provided) audio.
    (even tracks exported from iReal Pro)

Sounds like you want iReal Pro to do for you things it isn't designed (or legally allowed) to do.

Remember, the more completely you "publish", provide, distribute or perform (live, video, written or using any other media) someone's copyrighted material with first obtaining permission, the more likely you are to have expensive legal issues.

more:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...=2779#post2779

That iReal Pro can display various (instantly transposeable) chord progressions AND generate musical rhythm-section practice tracks is very useful.

"Better" is often the enemy of "good".

)BOB
    Last edited by pdxdjazz; 08-21-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxdjazz View Post

Sounds like you want iReal Pro to do for you things it isn't designed (or legally allowed) to do.

Remember, the more completely you "publish", provide, distribute or perform (live, video, written or using any other media) someone's copyrighted material with first obtaining permission, the more likely you are to have expensive legal issues.

more:
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/newrepl...5319&noquote=1

That iReal Pro can display various (instantly transposeable) chord progressions AND generate musical rhythm-section practice tracks is very useful.

"Better" is often the enemy of "good".

)BOB

No worries, Bob. I don't busk. I sing and play only at home for my cats. They ain't talkin', but they don't seem to mind it much. I only have one neighbor and he's a hundred yards away. If he should happen to hear me while walking past my house, he'll think it's my cats.

I just like having the chords, lyrics and playback all in one place, when I'm learning a song that's new to me. After several times through, I've memorized the lyrics and chords anyway.

I'm interested in the link you offered, but it's not functional any more.
    Last edited by nimbleswitch; 08-21-2014 at 03:51 AM.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    I just like having the chords, lyrics and playback all in one place, when I'm learning a song that's new to me. After several times through, I've memorized the lyrics and chords anyway.
    Then check out the apps I suggested:

There are apps out there that will scroll full (user-entered) lyrics and chords at a specified tempo.
    Look at OnSong, BandHelper, SetListMaker.
    Some can simultaneously play (user-provided) audio.
    (even tracks exported from iReal Pro)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    I'm interested in the link you offered, but it's not functional any more.
    The link has been fixed.
    )BOB

Remember, the more completely you "publish", provide, distribute or perform (live, video, written or using any other media) someone's copyrighted material without first obtaining permission, the more likely you are to have expensive legal issues
    This is only true if you perform copyrighted music without either having your own PRS certificate, or if your venue has one. In the UK, every venue has a PRS certificate, so unless you're performing outdoors in public, they're unnecessary for performers.

The cost of the certificates is actually very reasonable.

More info here;
    https://www.prsformusic.com/