Thread: 7/8 rhythm how to

Default 7/8 rhythm how to

How could I notate a recurring rhythm for chord changes in 7/8: dotted quarter, dotted quarter, quarter, quarter like ||: D7(q.)(q.)Eb(q)(q) :||

It is not possible to input a specific rhythm for the player to play. You would have to use other software to do this.

Not meaning to imply rhythm but rather meter in groups. I have tried separate time signatures but it seems that IReal can't switch between compound and simple meter. To get 7/8 in this configuration, I tried alternating 6/8 and 2/4 but IReal is confused and appears to keep the beat the same (meaning dotted quarter becomes quarter). In any event, I suppose the answer is the same.

As you know in notated scores you often define how the (8th or quarter note etc.) timing gets interpreted in the new time signature, whereas we have it so 8th = 8th. This means 2/4 followed by 3/8 works and 6/8 followed by 3/8 works. It can get complicated. Sometimes you can do strange things with x/8 and/or x/4 time signatures as 'sub-measures' to get somewhere near a rhythmic feel for a backing track, but it might not be easy to read if you are looking at the chart and because of the randomness of the player, might not always be the feel you want as it plays through.